Mule Deer Rifle

rbljack

WKR
So many good choices out there. I've used a 30-06 primarily and its still the rifle I grab for backpack hunts. It isn't pretty, but gets the job done and I shoot it well. Synthetic stock savage with lots of "character scratches" on it....LOL. My wife's 270 is a good caliber too, but her rifle is too damn heavy for backcountry hunting. So when you start comparing....consider package weight, and recoil tolerance. Id rather shoot a 270 or 06 well, than to flinch with a 300 win mag, make bad shots and tear up meat. Not trying to knock that cartridge by any means...in fact I want one for an elk rifle. But for deer, I think its too much and meat damage is a valid concern. I don't have any experience with the "short mags" though...and that is something that I will do some looking at after reading through this one.

Whichever caliber you settle on, pick a quality bullet and roll with it. All that being said, I find myself really wanting a lightweight mountain rifle and when I have the funds, that would be my next choice for a Mule deer and Elk gun for use on backpack hunts. Caliber...haven't decided yet...too many choices. Good luck.

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
I use anything from a 25-06 to a 300 win mag for deer. My favorite deer round is the 264 win mag. It shoots a very high BC 130-143 grain bullet at a very good velocity without to much recoil for me. I shot a 300 win mag for years and developed a flinch, the 264 doesn't cause my flinch to re-appear.

Out to 400 yards you won't see to much difference in trajectory between the various rounds discussed. At that range a high velocity has not yet given way to a high BC altogether. Something in the 25-06, 270, 7mm mag category that can start a bullet with a BC over .400 at over 3000fps is a darn good choice. It allows more simplicity and less reliance on using a turret or reticle to account for bullet drop. Any of those can be zeroed to allow a hold on the top of the deer, not holding over it, for 400yds without to much mid-range rise to the bullet. One of my favorite things about my newer 264WM is that I'm pushing a bullet with a BC over .600 at 3240fps. That means about as little wind drift and drop as I'm going to get in anything low recoil enough for me to shoot well. I leave the turret set to 270yds and forget about it until I range something past 325yds. This means for 90% of my shots on game I can just shoot without accounting for drop.

On the other hand, a 308 can definitely do the job and be matched to a drop compensating method of your choice (including lots of practice that's a great idea no matter how you do it). I have a couple and like them best inside 250yds. That's not because they aren't capable much further, I just personally go to a flatter shooting round with less drop compensation when I shoot further because I have them available.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m building a 264 Win for just that but no reason a 308 would not work.

6.5x284

WKR
6.5 GAP 4S. Perfect mule deer round! As are all others mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Efw

FNG
A rifle chambered for the typical Ammo you see in sporting goods stores will do ya nicely... .270 Win, 7 RM, .308 Win, .30-06, .300 WM...

Makaira

FNG
Started with a 7 mag,300 win,300wsm,and now a 257 bee launching a Barnes 100 TTSX at 3600+ fps.
So far I have been very impressed with the bee out to 650 yards and everything has been one shot kills with it.

Daubsnu1

FNG
I'm lefty, so my choices were limited. Been shooting a Browning A-bolt 30-06 for years. It just kills deer. Topped with Leupold Vari XII, 3-9x40 it's pretty deadly.

Picked up a used Winchester model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag a few years back. It's stainless and red-ish wood stock, beautiful gun. But I could never get it to pattern well. Tried Hornady Precision Hunter in 162 gr ELD-X and man, that gun loves those bullets. Dropped 160 class Muley this season @ 212 yards, one shot.

I would love to get a short action rifle, and .308 would be a top choice. Quality round right there. I would also consider 7-08 and 6.5 CM.

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
If heading to find a muley I would consider carrying my 7mm-08. I tend to impose a 300 yard limit on myself.

RoJo

WKR
A Rem 700 in .270 Win, shooting 110gr Barnes TTSX hand loads, has been a very accurate and effective combo for me so far on mule deer. Having said that, I have a new Kimber Subalpine in .280 AI that I am really liking, and looking forward to using on my next hunt.

fsuitw

FNG
A Rem 700 in .270 Win, shooting 110gr Barnes TTSX hand loads, has been a very accurate and effective combo for me so far on mule deer. Having said that, I have a new Kimber Subalpine in .280 AI that I am really liking, and looking forward to using on my next hunt.

What velocities are you getting with that 110?

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
.280 Rem is my favorite caliber to date, although I've used everything from a .257 Weatherby-.300 Win Mag on Deer. The .280, in my mind, gives you a perfect balance between the .270 and 30-06 (same casing). However, you can't go wrong with a .308 if you shoot it enough. I am not a huge fan as I just don't care for the ballistics ... but what the hell do I know? Lots of great hunters shoot the .308 well and kill a lot of game with it.

7MM-08 is another that is close to a perfect Mule Deer round. Light recoil, accurate and enough punch at those ranges for sure. I've got a few friends that love their 25-06's as well. Then there is also the venerable .270. All are great options. If it were me, I would venture beyond the 308 and consider some options with better ballistics.

RoJo

WKR
What velocities are you getting with that 110?

I got the best groups near the lower end of the range of powder charges. It was a few years ago when I chrono'd it, but as I recall it was a little under 3000...or maybe a little over, I can't remember now.

And seating them at Barnes' recommended .050 off the lands proved to be right on the money.

Last edited:

RoJo

WKR
Ok, I just checked my load data. I noted the muzzle velocity at 3150, so I suspect that was an average. I use 56.0 gr of H4350 which is actually the minimum listed in the Barnes manual for that bullet, but it was what grouped the best. I'll take accuracy over velocity any day. I use Win brass and WLR primers. Shooting for .050 off the lands, I ended up with OAL 3.456 (no, I am not making that up :) )

The load performs well enough that I have never been tempted to fiddle with it.

fsuitw

FNG
Ok, I just checked my load data. I noted the muzzle velocity at 3150, so I suspect that was an average. I use 56.0 gr of H4350 which is actually the minimum listed in the Barnes manual for that bullet, but it was what grouped the best. I'll take accuracy over velocity any day. I use Win brass and WLR primers. Shooting for .050 off the lands, I ended up with OAL 3.456 (no, I am not making that up :) )

The load performs well enough that I have never been tempted to fiddle with it.

Thanks for the info. Thinking about working up a 110 load for those evil p dogs.