Co deer - summer scouting for 2nd season

mdfanatic

FNG
Has anyone had much luck scouting in June, July, August for a 2nd season mule deer tag? Central to southern part of Colorado is the area. I think a 2nd season tag is pretty darn tough, but I just wondered if you couldn't find a deer to hunt in the summer and with a little luck, he still be in the area. Waste of time or helpful?

I've been watching the weather in this area, and typically everyone is hoping for snow, but it never happens until after all the seasons.

In my experience and the areas I have hunted summer scouting is only useful if you are hunting them in their summer patterns. Every year as they shed velvet where I hunt they start to move. There are exceptions I am sure. Resident herds may stay in the same pattern all year maybe?

My experience with resident herds is the does stay in similar patterns all year long. If the op is not talking about a resident herd, then I'd say that deer typically during 2nd season are not in their summer range.

OP
M

mdfanatic

FNG
Yeah probably a dice roll as to if they move, migrate, get killed or get bumped. I think a lot of the Colorado units are migratory, but by October 20th - 30th, they definitely haven't made it to the wintering grounds. Yes they'll be in the timber, but I bet close by to where you see them in July unless a heavy snow dump. I don't know. A lot of "what ifs" that you would need to play out. Probably not a solid enough of a plan to bank on.

Even if you don't see the same deer later in the fall the summer scouting trip will help you learn the area.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Scouting for deer is mostly likely going to be a waste of time. However, learning the roads, finding glassing spots, and just seeing what he country looks like will save you time and frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
Based on my n=1 summer scouting experience, summer scouting can be great to get an idea of what the terrain looks like, look at roads, trail systems, and get a lay of the land, but the elk or deer are where you find them in 2nd season, not in June-August. I won't be boots on the ground scouting where we hunt elk in 2018.

OP
M

mdfanatic

FNG
I think the above statements are pretty accurate and what I was expecting. I do agree that summer scouting helps to get a lay of the land, the roads, etc. To some people this may not be as valuable as to others. For me, it's valuable. Just getting comfortable with the area, where to go, what roads are like, glassing points, how much and where is the cover, where to even get gas - all helps you make your plan.

I think the conclusion here is, on migratory units, the best scouting is done during prior hunting seasons or just learn it as you go and "bank" that knowledge for future years unless you're hunting them in early season.

Probably leads to the next question - when do they start migrating? I think the snow plays a part and can speed it up or slow it down, but I think regardless come mid October, they start migrating in some form or fashion for the most part.