Eastern New Mexico

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Just doing a little poking around for the fall of 2018. I've seen some good ones in West Texas, but have only chased them a handful of times.

I would assume land access would be the hardest part, but has anyone chased them in the plains or rolling hills on blm or state land?

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

rbljack

WKR
I assume we are talking about antelope? If so, I haven't, but may apply in 2018. From what I learned so far, if you are drawn for a unit, you cant necessarily just go hunt that unit. They may assign you to a specific ranch within the unit. That's all I know so far.

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
I am going aoudad hunting in eastern new mexico this weekend. I'll let you know if I see any.

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
I assume we are talking about antelope? If so, I haven't, but may apply in 2018. From what I learned so far, if you are drawn for a unit, you cant necessarily just go hunt that unit. They may assign you to a specific ranch within the unit. That's all I know so far.
Nope, I'm talking mule deer. Taking a look at certain specs, it seems that plains deer are under utilized... I'm wondering why that must be

rbljack

WKR
Ah...didn't realize the post was under the Mule Deer Forum..sorry about that. I think the Mule deer are under utilized here. The problem in Texas is land access, and the lack of public lands. At least that's the case for me, and I'm guessing its the problem for many others as well. I know where I can find some mule deer, but its private land, and I don't have access to it/them.

swampokie

WKR
Mostly all private in eastern nm. Some blm down around clovis and roswell. Lota tags and for the most part smaller desert mulies. Good chance at a tag but a lota pressure

31 has some GREAT bucks taken every year.
40 has some great bucks, but they tend to be on private. Still some good ones on public, but you really have to work for it.
Or knock on some doors...

TWP

FNG
Keep doing your homework, I highly suggest you get out to scout and scout some more before hand. It is not a pretty alpine hunt and there are people, but there are some big deer in that sand.

LoneStar

Lil-Rokslider
My dad used to have a little place a few miles north of Sudan, Texas just on the edge of the sand dunes. I fed his horses a few times out there and saw some monster mule deer in those dunes. Found some sheds around the place, but have long misplaced those. There is a power plant on the north side of the dunes that has a couple of cooling ponds around it. I always heard from local that the muleys would come in there for a drink, never confirmed. I used to know one of the land owners in the area, but have not been in contact with them is quite some time. Access would be the biggest issue to the area on the Texas side.

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
I have a certain place in mind, and a certain backup in mind. I guess it doesn't hurt to put in for a hard to draw area for 1st choice, but don't necessarily get why two places that both have 40-50 percent success rates can have completely different draw odds. Like why does one have slim to none draw odds and one is 100 percent. Is it land access being a factor?

TWP

FNG
Yes, land access is going to be your biggest factor there. Look up BLM lands in that part of the world and state trust lands. Can't camp on the state lands though.

jolemons

WKR
I've hunted a lot in 32 west of Roswell and would help if interested in that area

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

swampokie

WKR
I have a certain place in mind, and a certain backup in mind. I guess it doesn't hurt to put in for a hard to draw area for 1st choice, but don't necessarily get why two places that both have 40-50 percent success rates can have completely different draw odds. Like why does one have slim to none draw odds and one is 100 percent. Is it land access being a factor?

Access has a lot to do with it. In my experience the trophy quality can vary a lot in two units that aren't far apart.

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted a lot in 32 west of Roswell and would help if interested in that area

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
I'm coming to you if I draw pronghorn too! That place is my first choice..

Anyways folks so there's one place that uh.... "Just got opened" to public Access I have my eye on. I'm sure I'm one of many that's thinking that, but shoot... I'd love to hunt it on its inaugural public season so to speak