Wyoming Region G - how did you .....

COOTER

FNG
Hi all and thanks in advance.

My hunting partner and I have be building preference points for Wyoming mule deer and antelope since 2011.
We are now starting to plan our hunt for September 2019 for Region G. At this point we are looking at all of our options
including, hiring guides, drop in camp, renting a trailer, using NFS guard station cabins, hotel/cabin and tent camping.
All offer advantages and disadvantages. I am hoping that those of you who hunted in the area could share you experiences, advice/insight and state what method of lodging you used and how it worked out for you and if you would do it again.
In addition, if you did use any guides do you have any recommendations.

OP
C

COOTER

FNG
Your going to use 8 points on G?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It has just worked out that way. We started to collect points as NR's and have finally made the commitment to use them.
Are you saying we may be better off using them elsewhere?

It has just worked out that way. We started to collect points as NR's and have finally made the commitment to use them.

Ya H

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems like 8 points is a lot of points to burn in a General Unit that usually take 5-6 points and got HAMMERED by a rough winter last year. I'm not expert but there might be better places to burn 8 points in Wyoming than G.

FURMAN

WKR
I have said this before and it was not popular. I would not burn 8 points in a BAAAAAAD winter kill area. I think there are better hunts in the state for the points. I would look at draw odds and start calling biologists.

I have said this before and it was not popular. I would not burn 8 points in a BAAAAAAD winter kill area. I think there are better hunts in the state for the points. I would look at draw odds and start calling biologists.

I have 8 points and can’t decide on where to go. Seems I’m in no-mans land on points. Wish I would have just done G two years ago. We are wanting to draw this year and go. Need to figure it out lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
The answers really depend on what your priorities are. Antler size? Mountain hunting adventure? Seclusion? Number of animals spotted?
Comfortable camp? There are lots of cool places to hunt, but you can't really have it all.

OP
C

COOTER

FNG

That’s my concern. The winter kill. My partner doesn’t seem as concerned. I think that is a mistake

OP
C

COOTER

FNG
The answers really depend on what your priorities are. Antler size? Mountain hunting adventure? Seclusion? Number of animals spotted?
Comfortable camp? There are lots of cool places to hunt, but you can't really have it all.
A mountain hunt would be dream come true, but there are barriers. I love Wyoming and could be happy hunting anywhere.
I am not after trophies, just good animals. Any input on unit 82?

530Chukar

WKR
You may have a tough time finding a quality guide in Region G at this point. Many of them are booked out several years in advance.

Huntnbill

FNG
I would look at other areas. Region G was hit very hard last year and it is worst then first reported. I had 4 different groups of friends hunting from north to south of unit and all had same thing to say. Very low deer numbers.
You are not going to have problem finding a guide, but the reputable ones will be booked a couple years out and honestly you will only have less then 10% chance at any kind of a trophy in Region G.
Good Luck and hope this helps!

That’s my concern. The winter kill. My partner doesn’t seem as concerned. I think that is a mistake

I won’t get into the details on the forum but I hunted G for 7 days last year. I packed in roughly 6 miles. It snowed quite a bit but I didn’t think that would affect my hunt. I was with my dad so we took the camper. I will say that after packing in 6 miles, hunting all day and running into guides (4 different ones) who had yet to see a “decent” buck we got worried. We found dead deer and elk. The area was hit HARD by the winter. If I had 8 points, I would look elsewhere. Now if you wanted to see deer, God’s country, and have a good trip than maybe that is a different story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mntnguide

WKR
#1 outfitter in G did not harvest a buck over 200" last year...Myself along with all other reports from many friends, and people i know who still guide and outfit, it all was the same. Worst season anyone can remember in terms of quality and numbers. I spent every weekend from middle of June until opening weekend of archery in the highcountry with pack on my back for 3 days. I covered both G and H, and can say from sweat, boot leather and hundreds of hours behind glass...I expected it to be bad, but i never thought it was going to be as bad as it was. . yes there will be great bucks taken next year..but it will be few and far between. We are about to go through some very rough years, because it was our young deer that died off last winter, along with older mature bucks who had just finished rutting when the winter of hell hit in full force, they never had a chance to recuperate. . I will still be hunting G and H this year, but i made a choice last year not to harvest a buck under 180 because of the severity of the winter. I did not punch my tag last year. I hunted a 200+ nontypical during archery but couldnt connect, and never saw a buck I was willing to pull the trigger on during rifle. All my hunting is done where many people will never make it with a pack and camp on my back. Its still incredible country, but the deer numbers suffered drastically after last winter.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
I know what I'm doing and also go where few can. I saw roughly 25% of the bucks I've seen in previous years. I did find a large buck to hang a tag on, but the second best buck I saw during rifle was maybe 150". I too will keep hunting it because it's the kind of terrain that makes me happy, but if I didn't know that to be true I'd go elsewhere.

OP
C

COOTER

FNG
Thanks for the input. We are starting to look elsewhere. I just subscribed to GoHunt and the preliminary data is pointing to units in D, W, M and a couple of others. I am sure I will be asking for additional advice. Again, thany you all for your input

Wow, all this doom and gloom about region G! I guided there for 2 months and saw plenty of deer. We killed a 205" buck, a 197" and his 195" brother, plus plenty of other mature Wyoming bucks. The winter kill of '16 was not as bad with adult deer as many would like to think. Sure it kicked the crap out of the fawns, but the adults did not fare nearly as badly. Watch the WGF Commision meeting video on youtube from 1/18/18 where the bio's talk about the '16 winterkill and the effects on the herd. The good info on the Wyoming Range deer starts around the 1:55hr mark on the video. The deer in G this last year were VERY healthy, and the outlook there going forward does not look bad.

View attachment 65553

Attachments

• 600 inches.jpg
    600 inches.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Wow, all this doom and gloom about region G! I guided there for 2 months and saw plenty of deer. We killed a 205" buck, a 197" and his 195" brother, plus plenty of other mature Wyoming bucks. The winter kill of '16 was not as bad with adult deer as many would like to think. Sure it kicked the crap out of the fawns, but the adults did not fare nearly as badly. Watch the WGF Commision meeting video on youtube from 1/18/18 where the bio's talk about the '16 winterkill and the effects on the herd. The good info on the Wyoming Range deer starts around the 1:55hr mark on the video. The deer in G this last year were VERY healthy, and the outlook there going forward does not look bad.

View attachment 65553
I was cruising threads and want this to come back up to the top on the back of another harder winter... Super good information from Kevin Monteith.