Wyoming region H

Jd259

WKR
Hey guys I’m going to draw region h this year and plan to hunt unit 156 or 151-152 probably 151-2 because of the bears up in 156 I plan to hunt the high country in these units my question is is it worth me burning my elk points on a general tag at the same time? Are there decent elk numbers in those units and/or do they hang around in the same higher elevations as the deer? Or would I be better off saving my elk points and just concentrate my time on the deer tag? Feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any info that could help me out.
Thanks guys.

Eagle

WKR
From my experience in region H, it's unlikely for both species to be close and I'd suggest concentrating on one or the other. That said, I have not hunted the units you have specified, I've only hunted 153. Best of luck.

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
From my experience in region H, it's unlikely for both species to be close and I'd suggest concentrating on one or the other. That said, I have not hunted the units you have specified, I've only hunted 153. Best of luck.
Thanks man that’s kind of what I was thinking of when you were in 153 we’re you elk or deer hunting and we’re you huntin up high?

Eagle

WKR
Thanks man that’s kind of what I was thinking of when you were in 153 we’re you elk or deer hunting and we’re you huntin up high?

I was deer hunting at treeline and above. Killed my deer essentially right at treeline. Of course, we walked in from well below treeline and covered five miles to get to camp and I scouted for three days prior to the opener on the 15th. No bugles or sign of elk anywhere I walked or glassed.

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
Ok that about makes up my mind I’ll just focus on the deer and save the elk points for a better hunt down the road thanks again man.

I have also hunted much of region H, and guided there several times. Generally you won't find shooter bucks (170+) very close to the elk. There aren't as many elk in H as I think there should be. I know that most people that have hunted there might not agree, but after spending 30-40 days in H several years over I don't think the elk population is very dense compared to other similar areas.

You will find elk in 151-152, but they won't necessarily be around the same elevations as the bucks you are after. I would skip the elk tag so you can focus all your efforts into finding a nice muley buck, then use your elk points on a future hunt.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for saving your elk points. There is definitely something nice having two tags in your pocket knowing you could take either species but what seems to happen more often than not it becomes a distraction. Chasing bugles one minute, muleys the next and you can't fully commit to one-or-the-other and come home with both tags unfilled. :rolleyes: