Arizona Late season OTC tags

Hey all, this is my first post in the forum. Hopeful of many more as I really like the forum.

My best friend and I were thinking about doing a DIY in Arizona for Coues Deer/Mule Deer in January 2019. This gives us enough time to plan our trip but was hoping for some advice.

In reviewing Arizona's DNR website it appears you can draw Non-Resident Over the Counter tags for Coues deer and Mule Deer for archery in several units. Does anyone have any experience with this process of how that works? Is there an application process or is it as simple as buying the tag the day before you hunt?

We were looking at units 22 and 23 to hunt in the Tonto National Forest. I've heard these units are hard and I don't mind packing off the beaten path but is it possible to pay a guide service to pack you in with horses and pack you out if need be?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Slide On.

RoJo

WKR
You can buy your hunting license and OTC deer tag at Walmart (or any other place that sells hunting licenses). You can also buy the hunting license online (but not the OTC tag). I would imagine you could find someone to pack your stuff in for you, you might join CouesWhitetail.com and ask there, lots of AZ hunters and guides/outfitters on that site.

You can buy your hunting license and OTC deer tag at Walmart (or any other place that sells hunting licenses). You can also buy the hunting license online (but not the OTC tag). I would imagine you could find someone to pack your stuff in for you, you might join CouesWhitetail.com and ask there, lots of AZ hunters and guides/outfitters on that site.
This is spot on make sure to check the regs you can hunt most untis throughout the state. Except some units are not available in december and some you can only hunt the first 15 days of january

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
I have hunted as non resident in AZ for 9 years now.
been successful with Coues buck and this year a Muley buck.
all over the counter deer for me.

buy my license each February 1st, as it is good for a full year. But then I can apply for archery elk hunts.
this AZ site helped me quite a bit, hope it gives you good info.
AZGFD

get there, do your scouting. Real time in the woods is a world different from typical internet scouting.

to be successful OTC, I've put in the time from my 3.5 hour drive to desert muley areas and my usual 8 hour drive for coues.

amp713

WKR
Have a dang near identical plan, was going to go this year but got a new job and had to put it off. Buddy told me he would go further south for Coues hunting, he is a local to the area so that may something to consider. I'm still looking in the twenty units.

Az gets a little complicated - not bad, just a little. lol
Not all units are the same.
Some units allow any horned deer (coues mule), some only mule.
Some units allow all of Jan, a little in the summer and then again in Dec

Its around page 45 or so in the Reg's. Be sure to look up your unit numbers and see their dates and species.