2018 late season mule deer hunt

mintonmj

FNG
I’m seriously looking into doing a late season rifle mule deer hunt next year. I will be a first time mule deer hunter, with tons of Whitetail experience. Can anyone head me in the right direction as far as a good area/state for this DIY adventure I’m trying to get planned? Any help would be great!

Calbuck

WKR
As a first timer I assume you don’t have points built up in any western states..that means you’ll have to likely buy a guided hunt that will be serious coin. You need to consider what your goals are for this type of hunt. Do you have a trophy size in mind? Do you want a pack in hunt? Are you in physical shape for a backcountry type of hunt? Are you outfitted properly for a late season(read COLD) hunt? There are so many variables you really need to narrow it down a lot more before you just decide to do a late season hunt

OP
M

mintonmj

FNG
Very true on the points. I am in good physical shape and shouldn’t have a problem packing. A little earlier season hunt might even be more in line. What would you consider to be a couple of the best areas to start buying points in? As far as trophy size goes I would say 150+.

Calbuck

WKR
If you wanted to hunt this year, you could look at Idaho OTC tags or maybe an easier to draw region in Wyoming or Colorado. There are a few areas of Utah you can get a General season tag for no points..finding a 150” buck is doable in general season units. Not necessarily easy but they are there..Montana has a late general season also you might be interested in

OP
M

mintonmj

FNG
Thanks Calbuck. It sounds like you have a lot of experience out there. Could you point me in the right direction as far as units go in a couple of those states? I appreciated your time. If you don’t mind PMing me that might be better.

Montana general, Idaho general, or Utah general would be good options, though maybe my preference would be in that order. I'd build points in WY and/or CO.

Feel free to PM me re Idaho.

I haven't hunted there, just ID and UT, so I can't get that specific. From my research, I think it's equal to or better than Idaho's general hunts. The major benefit for the hard worker (who can deal with the conditions in mid-November and get away from pressure) is that you get to hunt in the rut where that's not possible in most of Idaho and Utah for general season. I've seen some good bucks come out of there and the people I know do well usually.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Montana is the only state that I know of that has general late season rifle muley tags. There are plenty of small/medium bucks and enough public/block management to have a fun hunt, especially in the eastern part of the state. Not much for quality (160+), which is the downside to having general tags during the rut. Good chance of drawing, even on your first year applying.

Last edited:

dhaaland

FNG
What would do you consider a late rifle hunt? You can't go wrong with an Idaho general tag. Those hunts usually start about the 10th of October. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding the deer you are after if you are willing to put in the work. As far as units? Throw a dart at the map and go. Idaho produces great bucks almost everywhere. Southeast Idaho is a good starting place. If you want later hunts there are some to apply for in units 67 and others. Those are hard to draw normally though. good luck and happy hunting!