Eastern Montana Mule Deer Hunt Father/Son

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
So i posted about a month back about doing a father son hunt in wyoming, but based on all the research I have done, eastern montana seems to be a better fit for us. My dad has no preference points anywhere and from what i have read, we should be able to draw general tags for the area. Looking at region 7 mostly. I have narrowed my areas down to Broadus, Glasgow, or perhaps Miles City

If we don't draw, i have plan B's: wyoming region A and Nebraska Sandhills, but IMO neither will be as good as montana based on my research.

Are any of these areas better/worse than others in montana? or am i splitting straws etc.?

I know I have read the majority of mule deer in these areas will be 140 inches or so, and top out slightly above there. We are not trophy hunters by any means, just looking for a fun and enjoyable hunt where we both could possibly tag out. Ideally we could tag out early and then break out the shotguns for some upland birds haha

I also wouldnt mind to do soem predator calling either, but that's another thread all together lol

When it rains are the roads as bad as they say they are? lol

Powder River area south of Broadus has a lot of mule deer. Lots of road hunters but you can get away from them if you want.

OP
Glendon Mullins

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
yeah from what i have read getting away from roads is a must, that's no problem at all, and actually preferable, why in the world would someone drive all the way out west and hunt out of a truck lol

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt the Custer. The country is variable. Where I hunt, the farthest I can get from a road is 1-1.5 miles, and it is relatively flat. I hunt mostly mule deer does for meat. With the amount of doe tags available, and the amount of MD does you see, you can fill a freezer fairly quick. I hunt the first week of gun season. I'm not fooling you, but in the area I hunt, out of the hundreds of deer I have seen here, I have never seen a mule deer with more than a fork. I do know they exist in other parts of the forest. My theory is, that they hide in the thick, steep and nasty areas of the forest, or in/near large private blocks. You will see a decent whitetail occasionally. Bucks come out during rut, but so do the hunters, and there are lots of them near the road. If looking for decent bucks, it may be worth examining the smaller blocks of BLM out and away from the main forest. Some of the BLM in the area holds the nasty country I am referring to.

As for the mud, when it really rains it sucks. A car just wont do it, and even my truck struggles. On small branches off the main roads, your sometimes better off waiting a day for it to dry out. When it dries, it sets up like concrete on your truck, and it wont spray off. Still have it on parts of my underbody from last season. It just serves to remind me of the memories of the season. PM me if you have any other questions.

NDGuy

WKR
I'm thinking of checking those areas as well, for Antelope though.

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
All of region 7 is a good option. I've hunted down by Ekalaka/alzada/broadus, all the way up to Terry and Glendive. Lots of mule deer and exactly the country they like. Like moose drool said, there's a lot of road hunters so if you're willing to get off the roads and get a few hills in you're more than likely going to find some solitude. I live in the area and have killed some good bucks, and seen some even better. Block management and NF ground are both good options. Lots of BLM pieces too, that can be really good. BLM jogs all over the place so a GPS is a must, and remember corner crossing is a no no. If it rains, you'll hit bad gumbo roads. Even a good 4 wd pickup will be sliding all over. Good luck!

NDGuy

WKR
All of region 7 is a good option. I've hunted down by Ekalaka/alzada/broadus, all the way up to Terry and Glendive.

Is there a good amount of public? I’ve heard mixed opinions on it.

Is there a good amount of public? I’ve heard mixed opinions on it.

There is a ton of public in that area. A mix of national forest, block management, and BLM. Last time I was out there, we saw deer on almost every piece of ground that we got away from the road a little ways on. Saw a fair amount of antelope on some of the BLM as well.

204guy

WKR
I've hunted the area. Killed some older bucks that don't score well. Getting away from roads works. If your dad isn't up for to much hiking road hunting can also be effective, you just need to spend more time glassing than driving.

A question that hopefully some one can answer that will be relevant to the op. What's the deal with all the accessible blm and state contained in the type 2 block management areas?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

nastynick

FNG
So i posted about a month back about doing a father son hunt in wyoming, but based on all the research I have done, eastern montana seems to be a better fit for us. My dad has no preference points anywhere and from what i have read, we should be able to draw general tags for the area. Looking at region 7 mostly. I have narrowed my areas down to Broadus, Glasgow, or perhaps Miles City

If we don't draw, i have plan B's: wyoming region A and Nebraska Sandhills, but IMO neither will be as good as montana based on my research.

Are any of these areas better/worse than others in montana? or am i splitting straws etc.?

I know I have read the majority of mule deer in these areas will be 140 inches or so, and top out slightly above there. We are not trophy hunters by any means, just looking for a fun and enjoyable hunt where we both could possibly tag out. Ideally we could tag out early and then break out the shotguns for some upland birds haha

I also wouldnt mind to do soem predator calling either, but that's another thread all together lol

When it rains are the roads as bad as they say they are? lol
I know this post is pretty old. But did you end up hunting eastern Montana? Interested to hear your experience as I’m looking at this for a potential hunt next season. Thanks.