Shedding late?

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Was out this morning, January 25th, in south-west Idaho, unit 39, winter range. Patchy snow at the 3,000 ft level or so...bitterbrush country. Saw eleven bucks in four hours of walking...all packing both sides of their headgear. I'm thinking they are about two weeks away from getting serious about chucking their headgear. This was my third outing in January. Haven't seen as many bucks as I would have thought. A couple of 160-170 class 4x4's, but no big boys. Temps for January have been averaging ten degrees above normal for this time of year. So far, pretty mild.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I know that some of the more norther Idaho units will have bucks drop in the end of December. Seems like now is the earliest they start in South West Idaho but I'll see mature bucks packing clear up until early March in the owyhees. I can't make any sense of it.

squirrel

WKR
Generally, let me type it again slowly... GENERALLY

the milder the winter/better condition they are the longer they hold on to them.

Further north means earlier.

biggest drop first.

Lot of one horned lil guys are just broken when you zoom in close.

This year with our complete lack of winter there will be lots of bucks carrying on first day of spring.

Once I went on a stand building trip to eastern Neb and managed to work in a little horn hunting/ tick-picking time and couldn't find shit on the 2nd of april. I picked mushrooms and figured trespassers had beat me to it then jumped a dozen mature bucks all still packing two... location, location, location...

Reading Comprehension man read the second paragraph, this is cut and pasted from the CPW website

NEW: Seasonal Restrictions for Shed Antler and Horn Collection

​On Thursday, ​Jan. 11, 2018, the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission voted unanimously to approve the creation of a seasonal closure on shed antler and horn collection on all public lands west of I-25 from January 1 through April 30 annually.

The seasonal restriction will take effect on all public lands west of I-25 beginning March 2, 2018.

Additionally, in order to maintain protection for the Gunnison sage-grouse, the new regulations include a closure to collection of shed antlers on public lands May 1 to May 15 from sunset to 10 a.m. in the Gunnison basin (GMU'S 54, 55, 66, 67 and 551).

The purpose of this seasonal closure is to reduce the recreational impacts from shed hunting on wintering big game animals during the time of year when deer, elk, pronghorn, and moose are most vulnerable to stress. The result of this stress can be decreased body condition, increased mortality, and decreased fawn/calf survival.

Winter can be extremely difficult on wildlife as body weight is down and access to food is very limited. The survival of wildlife relies heavily on keeping as many calories as possible until the green shoots pop up, heralding spring's return.

Anyone that observes illegal activity is urged to contact their local wildlife office, or to remain anonymous to contact Operation Game Thief at 877-265-6648. Rewards are available for information that leads to a citation. ​

squirrel

WKR
Reading Comprehension man read the second paragraph, this is cut and pasted from the CPW website

NEW: Seasonal Restrictions for Shed Antler and Horn Collection

​On Thursday, ​Jan. 11, 2018, the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission voted unanimously to approve the creation of a seasonal closure on shed antler and horn collection on all public lands west of I-25 from January 1 through April 30 annually.

The seasonal restriction will take effect on all public lands west of I-25 beginning March 2, 2018.

Additionally, in order to maintain protection for the Gunnison sage-grouse, the new regulations include a closure to collection of shed antlers on public lands May 1 to May 15 from sunset to 10 a.m. in the Gunnison basin (GMU'S 54, 55, 66, 67 and 551).

The purpose of this seasonal closure is to reduce the recreational impacts from shed hunting on wintering big game animals during the time of year when deer, elk, pronghorn, and moose are most vulnerable to stress. The result of this stress can be decreased body condition, increased mortality, and decreased fawn/calf survival.

Winter can be extremely difficult on wildlife as body weight is down and access to food is very limited. The survival of wildlife relies heavily on keeping as many calories as possible until the green shoots pop up, heralding spring's return.

Anyone that observes illegal activity is urged to contact their local wildlife office, or to remain anonymous to contact Operation Game Thief at 877-265-6648. Rewards are available for information that leads to a citation. ​

all he is saying is that if they drop on the thirtieth they will still be there for the opener I tend to agree, on May 1 there will be

A. tall grass
B. very few grade two antlers
C. many many boot tracks, surprisingly weathered looking
D. Many vehicles carrying (almost unbelievable ) quantities of antlers found on the opening morning...

but this is the hand we have been dealt by our masters, our beloved government!

So I see they changed it. My reading comprehension is pretty good. Was reading from the original news release, still on their website, which stated March 1.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It still makes no sense and is not enforceable by hardly any means.
Are you still going out and collecting them despite the new law?
If it's keeping the avg law abiding guy off the winter range which I hope is the majority of people in Colorado than it'll have an impact. Enforcement will have to come from within reporting and calling out those that cheat and steal from the guys that follow the rules.
Guess time will tell

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I will be collecting them until march 2nd. The problem is they don't have the man power to patrol all the areas that will be poached. Yes enforcement will have to come from within, but even so if an individual is not caught red handed then a prosecution and/or fine is doubtful on heresay circumstantial evidence. Once a perpetrator gets home there is no way for CPW to decipher where and when a shed came from.

Your right most bucks are still packing well into March and even into April. The hard part of regulating this is going to be once turkey season opens on the 14th.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Was back out on 1/28. Every buck I saw still had two antlers. It’s late here for sure now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are you still going out and collecting them despite the new law?
If it's keeping the avg law abiding guy off the winter range which I hope is the majority of people in Colorado than it'll have an impact.

Just like every other law on the books, it will keep honest people honest but has no impact at all on the ones that will always be the problem. The law-abiding type folks probably weren't even an issue to start with, they weren't the reason a law was created. So we'll be back to square one.........just with a new law on the books.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just like every other law on the books, it will keep honest people honest but has no impact at all on the ones that will always be the problem. The law-abiding type folks probably weren't even an issue to start with, they weren't the reason a law was created. So we'll be back to square one.........just with a new law on the books.
Giving lip service to a problem and doing nothing have the same result and take almost the same effort. Passing a feel good law takes some real effort and has a much greater chance to have an impact than either lip service or doing nothing.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Giving lip service to a problem and doing nothing have the same result and take almost the same effort. Passing a feel good law takes some real effort and has a much greater chance to have an impact than either lip service or doing nothing.

Ya, except they already had an existing law on the books that banned harassing wildlife. If they would or could have enforced that law, they wouldn't have needed a new one. So what has changed in regards to fixing the problem? They still have to enforce one or both of the laws. Will having two laws make it easier to enforce them?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya, except they already had an existing law on the books that banned harassing wildlife. If they would or could have enforced that law, they wouldn't have needed a new one. So what has changed in regards to fixing the problem? They still have to enforce one or both of the laws. Will having two laws make it easier to enforce them?
Sure I personally think this better clarifies what's acceptable on the winter range -- shed hunting is out. Some people didn't view shed hunting that as wildlife harassment now it doesn't matter
Edited to add Sure it could have been handled differently but this will have some sort impact