Shedding late?

svivian

WKR
Can we stay on topic please.... there was already a whole thread that went over both of your arguments.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Good point svivian. When I glanced at this thread yesterday, in my brain I thought I was looking at that Colorado thread, it didn’t dawn on me till this morning it was this one.

So yes let’s stay on topic please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
Was back out on 1/28. Every buck I saw still had two antlers. It’s late here for sure now.

Over here in Sublette County, Region H, the bigger bucks have begun to drop. Lots of young 4pts still packing antlers. A much, much, different scene than from last year when the snows were shoulder deep and -35 below. Very mild winter this year and much less stress. Only 6" of snow on the winter ranges. Most south facing ridges are bare. Last year before the 1st of February there was hardly a buck left packing antlers. All the deer are looking great, though there's only half of what showed up in December of 2016. Deer are spread out somewhat this year though with the mild winter. Should have a great fawn survival rate.

I don't typically look for deer much this time of year, but ran into (I didn't hit them, but almost) a herd driving home Sunday night. Four of the deer were mature 4x4s and every buck I saw had both antlers. Just north of Reno, NV.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Over here in Sublette County, Region H, the bigger bucks have begun to drop. Lots of young 4pts still packing antlers. A much, much, different scene than from last year when the snows were shoulder deep and -35 below. Very mild winter this year and much less stress. Only 6" of snow on the winter ranges. Most south facing ridges are bare. Last year before the 1st of February there was hardly a buck left packing antlers. All the deer are looking great, though there's only half of what showed up in December of 2016. Deer are spread out somewhat this year though with the mild winter. Should have a great fawn survival rate.

Good news

About 50 miles from Casper, WY today and seen about 25 bucks. One had a dropped antler. That is pretty good odds that they have just started here. Tried watching him jump a fence to see if he would lose the other one, but no luck.

View attachment 66616

Still bloody, so could not have been that long ago.

wytx

WKR
Starting to drop near here. Spouse went out for coyote calling and saw some bucks with 1 antler and one that had dropped both already.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
some smaller bucks have started to shed, the bigger bucks are still holding on to them... weird year for sure.

ColoradoV

WKR
Looked over quite a few bucks in the past couple of days - most are still packin the head gear - only saw 2 of the smallest forkies had shed a single side here in Co. It will stil be a few weeks around here anyway.

So of course people been out everywhere I saw quite a few bucks a few weeks ago w both sides but think they got pushed out of winter range and I haven't been able to find much for browns.
So how far do u guys think the bucks would push off the winter range?
No snow to hold them down and no high country to go to ether , just some old growth juniper, then pine forests.
Would they push just far enough to get away from pressure or all the way back to there deep dark summer spots.?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So of course people been out everywhere I saw quite a few bucks a few weeks ago w both sides but think they got pushed out of winter range and I haven't been able to find much for browns.
No snow to hold them down and no high country to go to ether , just some old growth juniper, then pine forests.
Would they push just far enough to get away from pressure or all the way back to there deep dark summer spots.?

Sorry to hear. Tough question but another illustration of why shed seasons are becoming more common.

I can only guess that like hunting season, they’d go to the first place their not bothered.

JLH208

WKR
Sorry to hear. Tough question but another illustration of why shed seasons are becoming more common.

I can only guess that like hunting season, they’d go to the first place their not bothered.

Man that sucks. I been patiently watching from the pickup and let a brown sit on the ground for 2 days because the deer were still bedded in that draw. Third day they had moved a couple hills away and I snuck in there and picked up a sweet 3 point right side from a buck I been watching since December. I have some elk I been watching as well but 4 times already some dummies have pushed em around and its pissin me off. Already seen a few dead shed bucks picked clean by the coyotes I been trying to thin out but I'm becoming less and less tolerant of people. I got 3 out of 4 on film with my spotting scope driving up way too close the herd and one fella even got out, walked over to where they were bedded to see if he knocked some antlers off I'm sure and left a shiny p.o.s. beer can I picked up for him. They have already been turned in and I voted yes to a shed hunting season in Idaho. I'm sorry if that pisses anyone off but I know you guys love the deer and elk too, and if that helps even a little, then why not. It's getting ridiculous.

- Jesse

JLH208

WKR
Oh ya, besides the rant, here is that shed.
d2bb67344abd274a39a20b1eae042982.jpg

- Jesse

JLH208

WKR

To answer your question, in your situation i would start thinking about food sources and cover that nobody is disturbing. The deer and elk I been watching that have been getting pushed keep coming back fortunately because of food, but they have done me a favor and started bedding in an overlooked ravine almost every day. So I should have some good finds all to myself when they leave.

- Jesse

JLH208

WKR
Also, seems like most bucks in my area have shed, but still a few small bucks packing and 1 heavy typical 4 that I'm starting to think will never shed. I think he buried his sheds last year cause I couldn't ever find them but found several sheds of bucks he was chillin with

- Jesse

ColoradoV

WKR
Just floated around a bit and counted 42 bucks since the sun came up today. Light snow and a temp of 0 deg w a light covering of snow made for a great start to the day. 5 of them have shed both sides. 2 others had shed one side. The 4 biggest I know of are still holding on to em and in fact 2 of the big guys were pushing each other around for pretty good quite a while. While there is a little new snow overall it has been a very easy winter on the deer and all the bucks I looked at today look to be fat and happy.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the update ColoradoV.
The more I talk to different people around the west, it almost seems like every deer just has its own personality. Some people think the big ones drop earlier, which is what I tend to think. But then I read stuff about big ones still packing them, but smaller bucks have lost them. Hard to say.