Shedding late?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys,

I've glassed up close to 60 bucks in last two weeks up to this morning, and I've seen ZERO one-antlered bucks.

I did see one buck that had shed both antlers back on 1/13 and figured everything was starting, but then nothing for the last 11 days.

Now I'm looking at deer at 1-4 miles, so it's very possible I'm missing the little guys, but to to not see multiple mature 1-antlered bucks by now is a little late. And on a side note, a lot less bucks this winter in SE Idaho.

How about you where you're at?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
interesting sslinger, around here, usually by the 15th I'm seeing one-antlered bucks.

Sounds right for AZ RoJo

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know how/if shedding dates indicate the condition of the bucks?

I've heard 2 theories, earlier indicates good condition because of the pedicle developing early for the next growing season, and later indicating good condition (I think something to do with testosterone/hormone levels).

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
COSA, around here, it seems like when our droughts get bad and the deer aren't in good condition, they shed early. In 1992, some guys were killing bucks in our December muzz hunts and the antlers would fall off when they dragged them, so who knows.

Seems a little early for utah still but shouldn't be long.
We've seen exceptional fat conditions so far so should be some healthy deer this fall.

VANDAL

WKR
Last Sunday I went out and saw 12 bucks, and one had shed. That seems like normal timing to me.

Also in neighboring units with a different winter range (just 20 miles away) the bucks seem to be about 2 weeks later. Not sure why but over the years it has been fairly consistent.

I’m also seeing way less deer. And not very many nice bucks and no big ones. It’s a little discouraging when you can’t find a big one on the winter range...how the heck can you find one in the summer or fall!?!?!

What determines timing on when bucks and bulls pitch their horns has alway puzzled me. I really don’t know but I feel that bucks are driven more by testosterone levels post rut and early winter and bulls more by how quickly green up occurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't drop hard here in Utah until at least mid February. Some parts of the state not until early March. I think only ~5% of the bucks drop before February.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Here in the plains, Pueblo/Custer/Fremont/Huerfano Counties, SE Colo., about a third of the small bucks have dropped one or more antlers but mature bucks still seem to have both horns. In my work I have been driving these counties for the last several weeks and looking at deer in the fields near the highways.

It has been a weird year here, we still have mountains above 10,000' with no snowpack yet. Crazy dry winter here.

Blessings - Chas.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This is interesting to hear about the timing in different areas of the West. Keep it coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
So far here in Sodak all the deer have their horns that i have seen both whitetail and mule deer. I would guess in the next few weeks they will start. Been really nice winter here some cold but no snow 46 today not going to complain. Going to coyote hunt this weekend so will get eyes on a bunch more deer

Art Vandeley

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen muleys packing into April around here, but usually most have shed by the time the elk start. I've found our mule deer to be very sporadic of when they drop. Whitetails are way earlier and are usually consistent.

Muleys32

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen muleys packing into April around here, but usually most have shed by the time the elk start. I've found our mule deer to be very sporadic of when they drop. Whitetails are way earlier and are usually consistent.

Yeah, very common in ND to see muleys into April as well. Whitetail seem to go earlier but the muleys hang on forever it seems.

wyodan

WKR

I saw one last year still packing 1 antler in mid June. Someone else had told me earlier that year that they had seen one packing that late, I told them no way. But usually I see them all dropping around here mid February into March.

Tyler Beck

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I went out on the 14th of January and found 7 fresh sheds (one still with some goop/skin on it) around Lewiston. Went out last weekend and picked up up 9 + a dead head with a drop tine :), but didn't find any fresh. Haven't seen any antlered bucks all year. I think the lack of a winter, at least in my area, has allowed the deer to roam out of their normal range.