Staff member
Very nice. Best one I’ve personally seen out of AZ this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Very nice. Best one I’ve personally seen out of AZ this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha ya but we are only 20 some days in. lol
Wait til the strip bucks get posted up, or Kaibab.

Either way- he is unique and has some cross breeding I believe from Sonora white tails.
I got a lot of miles invested in him. Had to hunt around a lot of other hunters too.
In the end it was the rut that got him, not my skills.

OP
mfllood3800
Thx bowuntr
I just got over that nasty flu bug, well I am getting over it, and I cut him up yesterday and today. This was a chore as my stomach has been a little uneasy since Monday. I haven't eaten meat since then til last night, wasn't sure how the gut would respond.
I actually made up some burger off this buck just now and am eating it while I type this
lol
He is way better than I expected.
I heard the horror stories of these older desert bucks tasting so raunchy.
With the burger scraps tasting this good, I can wait to get into the back straps.
879ca9b11613de8896562fdaa7a09cca.jpg

OP
mfllood3800
I have not tasted a bad AZ mule deer yet. :)

Exactly..

I have yet to taste a bad anything. I have had white tail years ago that were gamey, but that was my inexperienced selfs fault.
Our northern Wisc deer would never see hay or anything yummy like that, back then it was all tag alder swamps, pine trees and birch trees.
We would shoot the deer, hang it with hide on for a week or two depending when it was shot. Then drive it on the roof of my car all the way back down to So Wisc, and I would then cut it up. Probably ate a lot of hair back then. lol

I put in for Ut Antelope this year as I keep hearing how good they are. I ate antelope 30 yrs ago and it was disgusting- probably the filed care again. I don't know. I'm sure there are bad tasting everything out there, but I haven't personally tagged one yet.

I get in a panic almost after the animals are down. I have this internal clock that ticks very loudly
And I am diligent to get the hide of and meat in bags cooling while keeping the qtrs as clean as possible.

RoJo

WKR
Yep, me too. Some might say I am anal about it, but I don't care!

I got some AZ antelope (from the strip, 13B, up near Utah) from my son-in-law's dad a few years ago, and it was delicious! I am still waiting for an AZ antelope tag...18 points and counting. Fingers crossed for this year.

OP
mfllood3800
Yep, me too. Some might say I am anal about it, but I don't care!

I got some AZ antelope (from the strip, 13B, up near Utah) from my son-in-law's dad a few years ago, and it was delicious! I am still waiting for an AZ antelope tag...18 points and counting. Fingers crossed for this year.

What the heck? 18 pts? For antelope ?
I just put in for the Beaver area and should draw with in a couple years.

I deer and elk hunted over on the West side and saw 4 really good herds with some sweet bucks.
I have yet to see some one in there hunting. This is an area I could muzzle load hunt and get them too. Very possible with a bow but not sure I want to invest that much effort in them. Never hunted them before, just didn't want to eat them. But Now I hear how good they are and they have made the menu.

The are you are putting in must have some monsters

RoJo

WKR
What the heck? 18 pts? For antelope?

The are you are putting in must have some monsters

There are not many antelope tags issued in Arizona, so they are in high demand. The area I apply for is an up and coming unit. It is not historically well known for antelope, much less big bucks. But the antelope population and quality of bucks has been increasing, and they have been issuing more tags for that unit the last few years.

Many of the antelope there actually live in the timber. Not all my pics, and the last one is a buck that came out of the unit a couple years ago:

35570614234_038bf76669_z.jpg

36199015691_abc2c030ea_z.jpg

36199015481_81868d60f4_z.jpg

36166725252_1877376dc4_z.jpg

OP
mfllood3800
There are not many antelope tags issued in Arizona, so they are in high demand. The area I apply for is an up and coming unit. It is not historically well known for antelope, much less big bucks. But the antelope population and quality of bucks has been increasing, and they have been issuing more tags for that unit the last few years.

Many of the antelope there actually live in the timber. Not all my pics, and the last one is a buck that came out of the unit a couple years ago:

35570614234_038bf76669_z.jpg

36199015691_abc2c030ea_z.jpg

36199015481_81868d60f4_z.jpg

36166725252_1877376dc4_z.jpg

Nice buck RoJo ...

OP
mfllood3800
Well somebody in that pic holding that buck looks like a RoJo...
haha

The landscape looks very familiar to some areas I was in a few years back
I have some friends up there and used to race airplanes not too far off on the Reservation near there.
I never thought to find Antelopes in there.

I hope you draw and tag out.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Thx bowuntr
I just got over that nasty flu bug, well I am getting over it, and I cut him up yesterday and today. This was a chore as my stomach has been a little uneasy since Monday. I haven't eaten meat since then til last night, wasn't sure how the gut would respond.
I actually made up some burger off this buck just now and am eating it while I type this
lol
He is way better than I expected.
I heard the horror stories of these older desert bucks tasting so raunchy.
With the burger scraps tasting this good, I can wait to get into the back straps.
879ca9b11613de8896562fdaa7a09cca.jpg

Doin Work!