Wyoming Region Y General

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has hunted mule deer in region Y. I have a couple questions, it appears that there are a couple different licenses available. One is for separate zones 24,25,27,28 etc and one is region Y general.

Is the Region Y general good for the entire region or do I still need to choose a certain zone?

Also does anyone have any experience hunting this area? If so how was the mule deer/antelope hunting? I am planning on making a trip out here and would like to know what to expect!

Any and all input is appreciated.

COOTER

FNG
Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has hunted mule deer in region Y. I have a couple questions, it appears that there are a couple different licenses available. One is for separate zones 24,25,27,28 etc and one is region Y general.

Is the Region Y general good for the entire region or do I still need to choose a certain zone?

Also does anyone have any experience hunting this area? If so how was the mule deer/antelope hunting? I am planning on making a trip out here and would like to know what to expect!

Any and all input is appreciated.

harvest rates from GoHunt do not look great for mule deer all under 60% success rates.

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of deer in the area but very few mature. The area has excessive hunting pressure. Nearly every buck I seen harvested was a small yearling.

Last edited:

wrkn2hunt

FNG
You apply for a general region tag for Y as a non resident. I have hunted it in the past and while it was a tough go we shot a couple of decent bucks largest being right around a 170" but took some time to find em.

madtom

FNG
harvest rates from GoHunt do not look great for mule deer all under 60% success rates.

If you hunt mule deer on a general tag where harvest is routinely greater than 60%, I want to hunt with you.

Speaking to Y, I can say I've hunted it for a couple years. There are indeed a lot of deer, but not many mature ones. Neat country and lots of animals to look at though.

Hesseltine32

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted it a two years ago. Was my first mule deer hunt. I shot a 4x4 coming to a field to feed. My buddy missed a nice one in velvet mid 140s. Saw some decent whitetail as well. Biggest buck we saw a 160 class but unable to close the distance before dark.

Thanks for the info in this post. Did y’all camp or stay in a town? Looking at heading to this unit in 2020.