Nevada: Jarbidge vs Ruby mts

So, I'm a non-resident putting in for NV archery mule deer. Trying to decide on Jarbidge (unit area 71-72) vs Ruby Mts (are 101). The type of hunting we are looking at is back backing in 2-6 miles and hunting alpine basins with good access points/public land. The hunt would be in mid-August (archery). I'm not looking for super trophy deer, as I'd rather see more deer vs just trophy potential. More than happy with 160-170 class deer. Want to get away from hiking crowds too.

Any ideas which would be better for mule deer given the above?

Hunted the Ruby’s for deer 3 times and Jarbidge last year for elk. I would go Jarbidge. Going to be harder to draw, but less people better deer quality imo.

Ruby’s are a tough hunt, but easier than Jarbidge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A
Thanks for the info. I really hope we draw! We'll be pouring over maps and making calls to the bio.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nearly everyone who hunts the Ruby's would be happy with a 160-170 class buck. The issue is there are not a ton of them. The average buck there is 120-130. The Jarbridge has fewer bucks, but probably bigger also. The downfall is the elk have been eating up the land and fewer and fewer deer are sticking around that area.

BG775

FNG
Jarbidge is pretty hard to beat. Beautiful country and lots of space to get separation from other hunters. Access is generally going to be better too