Colorado 82/86 early rifle

HUNTNUT

FNG
New member, first post. Gotta start sometime. Wondering if anyone has any recent experience with the early rifle hunt in Colorado 82/86. I am familiar with the area and not looking for places to go, just wondering if it worth the non-resident points required to draw the tag.

ahlgringo

WKR
Steep, Steep Country. Beautiful- use to elk hunt there during archery season both 82 and 86. Every drainage has an Amish camp in it now- so moved on to different grounds. Did see some nice bucks in there though. Bring your fishing rod as well, most of those high mountain lakes hold a good population of greenbacks, most of them are pretty uneducated fish.

Last edited:
OP
H

HUNTNUT

FNG
I have archery hunted the unit for mule deer several times and had an early rifle tag about 15 years ago. It has been 5-6 years since I have been above timberline and didn't know if anything has changed recently. Used to see some really nice bucks but not a lot of positive things have been said lately. Oh yes, it is very steep and difficult to get from one drainage to the next without hiking 5 miles down and then 5 miles back up.

Steep, Steep Country. Beautiful- use to elk hunt there during archery season both 82 and 86. Every drainage now has an Amish camp in it now- so moved on to different grounds. Did see some nice bucks in there though. Bring your fishing rod as well, most of those high mountain lakes hold a good population of greenbacks, most of them are pretty uneducated fish.

An Amish camp? Please explain...I've never come across an Amish camp before.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone mention that this country is steep?

Seriously I would not burn points for 82/86.

ahlgringo

WKR
An Amish camp? Please explain...I've never come across an Amish camp before.

Around Westcliffe, there is a large population of Amish/Mennonites. If you drive through Westcliffe you will see the road signs warning you to watch for horse and buggy's. Now- what I didn't know- is that most if not all of the men of hunting age (and a lot of the female population) bow/muzzie/rifle hunt elk. Most also have access to/own horses. So pretty much every drainage that holds Elk in 86 (and most in 82) will have an Amish camp- Wall tent/horses, etc in it. Now to each there own, and they have every bit as much right to be there as I do. BUT- I have noticed the quality of the hunting go way down due to the increased pressure in hard to access areas. Therefore- I have chosen to move elsewhere.

Around Westcliffe, there is a large population of Amish/Mennonites. If you drive through Westcliffe you will see the road signs warning you to watch for horse and buggy's. Now- what I didn't know- is that most if not all of the men of hunting age (and a lot of the female population) bow/muzzie/rifle hunt elk. Most also have access to/own horses. So pretty much every drainage that holds Elk in 86 (and most in 82) will have an Amish camp- Wall tent/horses, etc in it. Now to each there own, and they have every bit as much right to be there as I do. BUT- I have noticed the quality of the hunting go way down due to the increased pressure in hard to access areas. Therefore- I have chosen to move elsewhere.

Interesting...thanks for the information.

OP
H

HUNTNUT

FNG
Looking to hunt 86 mainly. Anybody been there during early rifle and know where the outfitters like to go? Would hate to hike 4 miles up a drainage and find a horse camp. Then have to hike down 4 miles, over 3 miles to another area, and 4 more miles up. You get the routine. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've been in 86, and if I do not apply and draw, send me a pm and i can tell you about the area.