California Deer Draw Odds

What do you need help with? That file is a mess, find last years booklet which summarizes things up a bit better. Should be available on the DFW website.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
basically look up the unit you want, find how many tags are issued and see how many points until there are no available tags remaining. keep in mind that 10%(might be wrong on that) go to random draw so anyone who put it down for first choice can draw.

I recently did some serious number crunching with that file and pulled some interesting info out that will help with my planning. In all my analyses, I have to make the assumption that people will put into the same units each year. Although it may not be a correct assumption, similar amounts of people apply to the same units each year. The monkey wrench gets tossed when DFW severely cuts tag quotas (like last year). It’s hard to make any serious guesses without knowing what the tag numbers will be this year. But, I know this, CA has seem some substantial point creep in a few areas.

boom

WKR
last deer tag i bought, i walked in and asked if there were any remaining, if so, i would like one.

the lady looked, "you sure? that unit? really!?.."

i could have been hearing things, but i think she said something like..there are over 900 leftovers.

we have already started scouting a really difficult unit. seeing lots of deer. mapping the water. i dont think many hunt this unit. i like the tough spots..

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
If you're stationed in California, that probably means you haven't acquired any preference points, right?

Where are you stationed, what kind of hunting are you after, and how far are you willing to drive to get there.

There are a lot of over the counter tags available. If you gave a little more detail about what you're after we could help steer you in the right direction.

Last edited: