Archery Nebraska Mule deer

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to put together a Nebraska mule deer hunt and looking for advice or knowledge from experienced hunters. Wanting to stay public land DIY. Have a 8 days in late October to dedicate to the hunt. Have been looking at the Valentine area but open to opinions. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJH

WKR
It really is a really doable hunt, but the amount of public land in NE is really poor compared to western states. You're hunting a small amount of land with others... not really different than some other states, but there is less public land to choose from.

The area you're looking at is beautiful, but it would be worth your time to look hard on the western 1/3 of the state. I'm not trying to dissuade you from hunting by Valentine, but if it were my limited time, I'd focus on going farther west. Either NW or SW portions of the state. Chase, Hayes, or Hitchcock counties would be my first choice for nice bucks but I have no idea what the public land situation is there.

OP
Tallfeller454

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
I am not dead set on valentine. Exactly why I made this post was to get information from guys like you that have more knowledge. There is some public land on the western side as well I have looked at. I’m up for any over the counter State to be honest just liked the sound of hunting nebraska

As KJH stated above there are some good deer in the southwest part of the state. Our ranch is in Hayes county so I’m fortunate enough to hunt private land. Not sure where you live and if it’s possible to just take a trip out there and start banging on doors to ask permission to bowhunt but that’s a good idea. There’s some public lands in the area. Not completely sure but I think you can hunt the crp you’ll have to check as an option. Also check school board owned land.

That whole area in the southwest is now considered a MDCA mule deer conservation area. You’ll see some dandy’s for sure.

Best bet is to load up the truck and bang on some doors

OP
Tallfeller454

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
I’m from Smithville Missouri which is a north of Kansas City. I could make it out for a few trips in the summer to knock on doors.

As far as the the MDCA do I need a special permit or tag to hunt?

I always get the Frenchman tag but I’m a nonresident landowner. The statewide tag should cover you in MDCA. But check Frenchman area if that’s where your going to go it could be cheaper and still get two deer to eat.

Hope this helps

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
If you end up heading to the NW part of the state on the Ogalala, pm me I've been out there a couple times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
I've covered most of the Sandhills public land areas. No freebies, but feel free to PM me if you have specific questions that I can confirm or deny.

Just saw this thread. I've been archery hunting muleys in several parts of western nebraska the past 3-4 years - frontier, hayes, chase counties in the SW and near scottsbluff in the West. Like others above have said, there is not much public land. There is public in the SW along some of the reservoirs, but check to see what's accessible during archery season. There are mostly whitetails in those areas (from what i've experienced). There is GREAT mule deer area in Nebraska, but again a lot of it is private. There is CRP, but much of it is set up for upland birds - and you end up with the MD able to move off the CRP onto adjoining private very quickly. Also, in NE the rifle hunt is right in the middle of the rut - typically Nov 10-20th sort of dates - and from experience you will not want to be anywhere in the area when that season takes place. PM me if you'd like - happy to help.

OP
Tallfeller454

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the reply’s! All great information still in the planning stages.

I rifle hunted north central Nebraska in the Sand Hills region this past year. Really neat country and was thinking about going back with the bow this year if CO elk falls through. Not a lot of public land but from what I found is every one else is hunting whitetails.
ea1982baec3b1db8994cdc5033a79378.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

OP
Tallfeller454

Tallfeller454

Lil-Rokslider
What part of rifle season did you hunt Wisco?

365buckin

FNG
Anyone have any good tips on free camping/cheap lodging if hunting OFW Lands. Hunting USFS land and camping for free is huge cost saver.

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
I stripped the back of my escape and built a platform for sleeping quarters so that I have a bed ready all the time. Nothing sitting outside, so just looks like a parked vehicle (It is.). ;) I really like to stay mobile and not have to set up and then take down a campsite just when I want to change locations.

But otherwise, if you need to set up a tent and full campsite, you'll probably end up having to drive between where you hunt and stay if hunting OFW land. I doubt you'd have any problems setting up on any WMA - reading the regs, I haven't seen anything against it. Depending on where you going, there may be nicer options too. Feel free to send me a dm.

I am headed to nebraska to hunt some mule deer this fall. Probly be public land hunt. Was looking for some advice on good places. Not expecting a giant just wanting to have a good time and see some good deer. Not lookin to go to west edge of state gonna stay little farther east if i can