College student & CO hunting

JMettl25

FNG
Hello everyone, I am a college student currently in my Junior year and will be transferring to Denver, Co for my last two years. I am not a Colorado resident but am looking into getting info for some decent zones for both deer and elk (mainly deer) from archery to late season. These can be OTC or draw zones. I am just looking to further my knowledge of the state and possibly get a decent tag to hunt with this fall. Any advice would be great as well as advice on how to apply effectively to get the most out of my options, zones to look into or consider applying for, or even OTC tips if I head that route (pending the amount of options). Thanks in advance for any replies and if there is anything else I didn't mention which is worth noting I would appreciate it! I am open to any and all info.

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
All the mule deer tags are draw although there are some which can be drawn with zero points. Elk, there are lots of good otc units, I've hunted the ones in the sw part of the state and seen plenty of elk.

Check out toprut.com, gohunt.com and the CO website and you will be able to come up with a bunch of options to scout pretty quickly.

I'm just a NR researching too, so I'm sure someone will have some better info for you then I do!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
JMettl25

JMettl25

FNG
Awesome thank you! I didnt know that all deer were draw so that's good to know. But I have been interested alot in elk recently and I know CO is a good place for it pending where you go. I will for sure look more into GOHunt and all those other websites. I have tried GOhunt but it takes being an insider to get full details. Hey no worries I appreciate all the info in general! It helps out a ton.

Bob92057

FNG
My son went to CSU Fort Collins as a nonresident. You might want to check the Regs but I believe if you are a full time student in Colorado you are considered a Resident for the draw.

That should open some possibilities for you.

GL

marktole

WKR
If you are considered a resident for tags and what not, you could be doing a lot of hunting because I believe residents are eligible for a plains deer tag (east of Denver, from September through December), a regular mule deer tag through the draw, and there are various ways you can hunt a cow and bull elk throughout the year. Just gotta play your cards right. A Colorado resident would probably know more about it if you find someone to ask.

Not to mention vastly reduced number of years to get a goat tag if you’re willing to hunt some harder units with a bow. Although I don’t believe two years would be enough time to draw that. You’d be looking at more like 5.

OP
JMettl25

JMettl25

FNG
@Bob92057. Thanks for the advice! I just went on and checked to see what they considered residency. Apparently as a full time student I must reside in Colorado for 6 months before being elligable to gain a resident license even as a student. Kind of a bummer but that is only half the year there then I'm good!

OP
JMettl25

JMettl25

FNG
If you are considered a resident for tags and what not, you could be doing a lot of hunting because I believe residents are eligible for a plains deer tag (east of Denver, from September through December), a regular mule deer tag through the draw, and there are various ways you can hunt a cow and bull elk throughout the year. Just gotta play your cards right. A Colorado resident would probably know more about it if you find someone to ask.

Not to mention vastly reduced number of years to get a goat tag if you’re willing to hunt some harder units with a bow. Although I don’t believe two years would be enough time to draw that. You’d be looking at more like 5.

@marktole Awesome, those sohnd like great options to consider especially when I am a resident or if I am elligable in the fall. Possiblities there sure do seem better than in California so I am excited to see what I can do if I play my cards right even as a non-resident. I will keep this info in mind as I consider the draw this year and what options might be open in conjuction to my school schedule. Thanks again!

Regarding the goat hunts I would love to goat hunt one day so possibly applying for that in hopes of getting it within 5 or 6 years instead of 30 is an option I will think about too.