School me on mule deer hunting in Utah units 8 and 9A

TauPhi111

WKR
So my younger brother lives in Salt Lake City. He's not a hunter, but he enjoys wild meat and he and his girlfriend are avid hikers and snowboarders, and they see mule deer all the time and even moose on occasion. I'm in Ohio so needless to say I'm pretty jealous. I've been wanting to go out there to hunt mule deer, and he is willing to go out and do some scouting for me before the season, but as with most of us, vacation time is limited and I'm also trying to plan a CO elk hunt with some buddies.

I don't have any UT points, so according to GoHunt, it seems my best options for drawing a tag are units 8 and 9A. How is the hunting in those units for the limited entry and general seasons? I know nothing about the area, so any information is good.

I know I'm running a little late on the application process. Are these units where I can likely pick up a leftover tag or an OTC tag? As I said, I'm trying to plan an elk hunt too and whether or not to do mule deer might come down to a later decision.

I understand a good portion of either unit is designated wilderness. I'm not afraid of going in there, but my brother might not be down for a super long hike in to go scout, and he's a rookie compared to me in the back country. That said, which of these two units would be better to get away from roads, but do not require a 10+ mile hike to get into good country?

Lastly, what is a good general strategy for this area in rifle season.

Thanks again for all the help guys. It's appreciated as always.

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
I'm showing you have a pretty good shot 80% or better at 16 different units for general rifle deer. Access wise 8 and 9A can be more difficult than others in the state. I would look hard at 17A or 17B/17C. Better access and closer to Salt Lake. There are good bucks in every unit, but during the rifle season you will see a lot of other hunters.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Thanks for those tips guys. I mostly hunt whitetails and bears in OH and PA and don't know much about mule deer. I'll look into those units. Is it likely I can pick up a leftover tag in units 17 A/B/C? I know I'm a bit behind on planning hunts and I think the deadline to apply is tomorrow.

amp713

WKR
You get a tag you have a chance.... you aren't going to walk off with a 200 inch deer. But you may find a good buck in any unit. Find something your brother can scout often..... south slope Yellowstone is my main unit, you end up this way I'll shoot you some info.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
You get a tag you have a chance.... you aren't going to walk off with a 200 inch deer. But you may find a good buck in any unit. Find something your brother can scout often..... south slope Yellowstone is my main unit, you end up this way I'll shoot you some info.

Thanks! I'd appreciate that. I ended up not applying because I'll be doing an elk hunt in Colorado too this year, and if I'm not successful the first season, based on available vacation time and money I'd rather try to go back and fill the tag than go on a whole other trip. I think next year though I'm going to make Utah mule deer a priority. If I'm successful in Colorado and have time and money, I'll take a chance trying to get a leftover or turned in tag or maybe just come out to shoot a doe and learn the area for next time.

amp713

WKR
Thanks! I'd appreciate that. I ended up not applying because I'll be doing an elk hunt in Colorado too this year, and if I'm not successful the first season, based on available vacation time and money I'd rather try to go back and fill the tag than go on a whole other trip. I think next year though I'm going to make Utah mule deer a priority. If I'm successful in Colorado and have time and money, I'll take a chance trying to get a leftover or turned in tag or maybe just come out to shoot a doe and learn the area for next time.

Outside of extended season you usually can't shoot a doe in Utah. Just a heads up