Utah decision help

Takem

WKR
I'm hoping to get some input on a what to do for Utah deer. My brother and I had Books Cliff archery tags last year but gave them back because we drew Nevada tags that we wanted to use. We had been drawing our 2nd season Colorado hunt every other year but it's looking like that is changing for the worse and we probably won't be getting it this year which moves Utah up the front of our list. I'm leaning towards burning our points and getting the Books Cliff archery again. We would presumably have time to scout for a weekend and and put in a good 7 to 9 day hunt. My brother seems to be leaning toward a general archery hunt. Part of his thinking is we will never get another Utah premium deer tag and he wants to make sure we put in a maximum effort. Our kids start school on August 20th so our best bet would be to head out the 22nd (a few after the opener) and hunt the rest of the first week and most of the second week. This timing has him a little concerned. He's also thinking if we're not going to draw our Colorado tags every other year we need to start learning a new area somewhere we can draw on a somewhat regular basis. While I agree he has a good thought process I feel like we should burn the points now if for no other reason than who the hell knows what's going to happen between now and next year. From what I've been reading and hearing the Book Cliffs seam to be doing good right now and it seems like a good time to go for it. Do any of you have thoughts on this? Am I correct in thinking the Book Cliffs are doing good right now? Do you think it will matter that we're a few days after the opener? Thanks in advance for your help.

wyo_gasman

Lil-Rokslider
The book cliffs are ok for quantity , there’s better units, maybe not as easy to draw though. I’ll pm you with a cou Le of ideas for general archery.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if you’re resident or non. In the nonresident point pool, point creep is outrunning point builders in many units (for bonus tags, can’t count on random). I say hunt while you can unless building points to go somewhere better is actually is working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
I live by and hunt the books and will probably get my tag this year... lots of things to determine if it's worth it for you but I will say this year has had the least moisture in years and years. Far less winter kill, far more people out chasing horns already which is way too early, possibly bad year for horn growth if we don't get a good spring.

OP
T

Takem

WKR
Thanks for the input guys. We are nonresidents. We're going to put in for the Book Cliffs, hopefully we draw it again and get some good spring moisture.

BFM

FNG
Let us know if you draw. Did you put in for a general tag as well in case you don't draw?

Non-resident as well that will be doing a general archery tag on Monroe. Will only have 4 days to hunt in September.

amp713

WKR
Takem I've got max points basically (only way I can draw anything) so I should be down there.... lemme know if you get drawn!

OP
T

Takem

WKR
We didn't put in for general. We have a buddy that would be putting in for the general with us but he doesn't have the LE points. I hunted Monroe in 2015 for a couple of days. Have you been there before?

bowuntr

WKR
I also put in for the Book Cliffs archery with 14. I think I'm 1 point behind the point creep.... We'll see. Good luck Takem... Ed F

If you guys want help let me know. I have no experience in the unit but thinking of drawing it myself. If I don't have something else going on I may be up for helping out glassing and such.

OP
T

Takem

WKR
I also put in for the Book Cliffs archery with 14. I think I'm 1 point behind the point creep.... We'll see. Good luck Takem... Ed F

Thanks Ed. We drew it last year with 14 and gave it back. It looks like we might have been a little lucky though. I don't think we're gauranteed with 15 this year. Good luck with your draw...maybe some guys will back out.

amp713

WKR
Looks like a few sliders may draw this year. Let's all keep in touch. I'm headed down Wednesday night until Saturday to do some shed stumbling in the nastier areas.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like the utah board tag recommendation meeting notes were just released. Board recommend adding some book cliff archery tags with an increase of one non residents tag for a total of 10 tags for 2018 and a increase of one bookcliffs north rifle tag to 21 non residents, south unit numbers stayed the same. Utah resident tags increased too good news for all those that applied.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of the most frustrating things about Utah is you apply than they'll set the actual available tag numbers. Deer numbers are up mostly.There were some big changes in OIL this year; Archery mountain goat tags doubled to 4 and bison tags are up a bunch as well and they added 2 non resident archery tags for 2018 after having none in 2017 that's going to be a small pool with great odds.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk