Mule Deer Region F Wyoming and units 15/471 Colorado

Jabrown

FNG
Hey everybody,

This fall I plan on embarking on my first western hunt with my good buddy. We are from the Midwest (Michigan) and have been trying to plan a hunt for the past year. Last year didn't pan out, but this year the hopes are high.

We both have been doing extensive research using onX maps, GoHunt, and reading through many forms. Our search has been narrowed down to region f in Wyoming, unit 14 and 471 in Colorado. These units were chosen based off of draw odds, harvest statistics, tag prices and terrain. We are not trophy hunting, just looking to see some deer and hopefully with some hard work fill a tag or two.

Region F Wyoming-

This unit has pretty decent draw odds for the general tag (73%) but a large portion is wilderness areas. We would plan hunting here the last week of October. The main concern for this region is all the wilderness areas. Does the non-wilderness areas hold many deer or are they hanging out in the wilderness areas until the snow starts flying?

Unit 471 Colorado-

One of the only units with 100% draws odds for the early rifle season. A high Country hunt mule deer hunt would be awesome. The down side is the unit is very small. Looking at Google Earth there is only roughly 4 or 5 high Country basins. Harvest stats is pretty darn good however.

Unit 15 Colorado-

Looking at this unit for the third gun season also for mule deer. It is a large unit. So hopefully we can get away from the crowds. It has held a pretty high harvest stats over the past few years according to GoHunt. Also looks like there is a chance for the rut to get going.

Any information would greatly be appreciated. We do not want anyone's hot spots or anything like that. Just want to know if the drive would be worth it or not and if the units I mentioned hold many deer.

Thank you,

Justin

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

lif

WKR
I would look into eastern Montana as well. Beginning to mid November is good place to see plenty of deer.

tkjwonta

FNG
I haven't hunted any of those specific units, but I'll give my ounce of info about related units. I hunted right next to 471 twice and it has gotten worse in the couple times we hunted. More hikers/hunters and fewer deer, and the deer that we saw were not anything big.

Also, by end of October in WY if you have much elevation I would guess you have a pretty decent chance of snow. We got snowed on in early Sept last year in WY.

HOT ROD

WKR
JMO region F in Wyoming would a okay hunt... Bye October the deer will much lower than the wilderness area... U should look lower on blm and state land. Do sum more research call sum wardens and the biologist for the area....

OP
J

Jabrown

FNG
Thank you guys for the information. I talked to the biologist in that area and found out that it is pretty weather dependent. Leaning towards region f as of now, but still researching other places.

Not sure where u are getting 73% draw odds from

It's right at 50 for the preference point draw and 42% for random citing 2017 draw odds.

Just to follow this up. Used to live on the border of F in Thermopolis .. my cousins come out from Michigan so we apply as a party..

Don't 100% recall but ur basically restricted to the two north units yeah?!? At least for a backcountry style hunt.

Ez to knock on some doors and get access downfurther south valleys but pretty sure they aren't included in general tag.

Seen a giant Muley up the wood river.

I'd say F is more geared toward guys using an outfitter. Some awesome country up that area.

OP
J

Jabrown

FNG
Thanks for the reply ndbowhunter. The draw odds I came up with just came off of gohunt. But our plan was hunting the general tag (nov. 1-10th) which is valid only on national forest land. The northern units in the regions aren't included in this. It's more of the central units. In those central units we will be able to get roughly 5 miles in before we hit the wilderness area.

Looked over That tag a bit more.

I'm not hard selling you on other units but 50% odds to be limited to unit 111 and ur second choice options aren't so great unless you splurge for a special tag.

The other issue is if you don't draw what's ur other options?

Like I said I'm just saying aloud. In the same boat.. 105 is spectacular country if you can swing October. Irrespective of how ur hunt went you'd have spent some quality time in a special area.

Be forewarned theres a healthy grizzly population anywhere in that area. Like nearly Alaska level.

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
We hunted it the last 2 years and did ok, not going to put in for it this year. Deer numbers are down and they dropped the last week of the season when most of the deer are killed. and cut I think 200 tags. Remember this region relays highly on snow to get deer out of the park.

Richard

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
We hunted F a few years also, some local bucks there to be had. Awesome country, but like said above grizzlies are THICK! Probably see as many grizzly track's as deer. Every trails had them. The snow towards the end of the season seemed to help, but now they shortened season so if I went back I'd hit the opener and try to find a local buck before they get a tag on um. That's my opinion