Book cliffs south

Buck1

FNG
Well I drew the south rifle tag at the salt lake convention which was a nice bonus.I've looked into this unit before since I have enough bonus points to draw but have shyed away because of true trophy potential atleast from what ive heard.so my question is if im willing to eat my tag what is the units real potential.Ive heard 170" 180" which doesn't seem great for a 16 bonus points hunt.just want to set a realistic goal. Thanx

There are 190+ that come out but few and far between.
Seriously some GS units have better top end trophy potential but at 16 points you're decades away from the heneries or pauns so...
But that's awesome you got the tag and you should have a fun hunt seeing tons of good bucks looking for that one great one.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
What are the dates of your hunt and are you able to scout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Buck1

Buck1

FNG
Oct 20 thru 28 as far as scouting will depend on if I can pull any other tags.books are along ways from home lol

amp713

WKR
Books has 200" potential some years, some years you have ypo hope for 170. I spend some time down there each year as I'm close. Should get it this year with my bow. 2 years ago we were watching a great buck with double drops and cheaters. I'm bad at scoring and probably worse at trophy hunting...

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 20 thru 28 as far as scouting will depend on if I can pull any other tags.books are along ways from home lol

Well, other than learning country, summer scouting not super productive for those dates anyway as bucks will be moving. Better to arrive 3-5 days early. Being this tag is a freebie points wise, hold out till you see “the one” or go home empty. The other good thing is if you like the place, you can turn around and hunt it the next year with your points, which really tips the odds in your favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a 100% migration hunt. The week before the season starts you will see zero deer in this unit. But they will move in fast once it happens. There are only 3 areas with vehicle access and all of them will be loaded with hunters. Most people will be tagged out before the second weekend of the hunt so if you can be patient and pass some nice deer you might still be around when a big boy finally moves in. It's a really fun hunt so enjoy yourself.

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Never hunted it, but know more than a few that have. I will reach out and see what kind of info they have. Also if you are taking tagalongs for glassing or packing, count me in. I'm not all that far away and I don't have any hunts during that time.