WKR
If I were king for a day...

Tag allocation:
Resident- 80%
Non resident- 20%
With 10% of each held for youth

Cost:
A planned increase of 2% a year to match inflation
All hunters must purchase hunting license and habitat stamp would be required to be purchased prior to applying

Entire tag fee must be paid up front at time of application, all will be refunded minus 5% of tag fee for preference point.

Moose, sheep, and goat would become once in a lifetime tags, once you harvest one you cannot apply for again

Big change:

Preference points would reset every 10 years. 2020 everybody has 0 points and you can gain up to 10, then in 2030 all points reset again.

OTC tags for non residents would be general tags like Wyoming or Montana, have to be drawn. I don’t know what the number of tags would be but it would be large enough where drawing would be easy enough

Some people say that hunting is becoming a rich mans game and it’s “not fair” and our founding fathers wanted all people to be able to go hunting and provide for their families. Which I totally agree with whole heartedly, but the wildlife in this country was determined to be held in trust by the state for the residents of that state. And correct me if I’m wrong, but there is not a state out there that doesn’t have resident tag fees that are affordable by all. If you can afford the time off work, travel across the country, And spend a week or more hunting, you can afford a reasonable tag fee, if you can’t, stay and hunt the animals in your state and don’t try and tell other states how they need to manage their wildlife to benefit you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s not a bad plan. I wonder if CPW could survive without the nonresident fee structure though? I’d imagine the ropes and pitchforks would come out if they started talking $600-some odd dollars for a resident bull tag. Maybe they could commandeer the weed tax fund to make up the difference.

cnelk

WKR
During the early May commission meeting the 2018 proposed tag quotas were released.

Since this is the MD forum, Im sure many will be pleased this year when they draw a tag they werent expecting since MD tags were increased in many areas west of I25.

Not so in eastern Colorado tho, as they were decreased

I agree with the 80/20 split don't see why that is a big deal to some as it is in line with most western states. I also agree about getting rid or phasing out OTC elk units. I think people would pay more if quality was better both in experience and animals look at Wyoming general tags. Something definitely needs to change on the big three as the weighted points do nothing for you.

dotman

WKR
I agree with the 80/20 split don't see why that is a big deal to some as it is in line with most western states. I also agree about getting rid or phasing out OTC elk units. I think people would pay more if quality was better both in experience and animals look at Wyoming general tags. Something definitely needs to change on the big three as the weighted points do nothing for you.

I’m ok with that but where I hunt they can’t get that many residents to apply anyway 😂. I don’t think CO residents have a hard time getting a tag but maybe just getting a tag in a trophy unit which I’m all for 80/20.

I do think that should only apply to 1st choice and if only 60% of the tags are awarded as a 1st choice to residents then if nonresidents can make up the 40% they should receive the tag before any 2nd choice selections.

Problem with reducing elk opportunities and increasing the price is then people will go to states that already have better quality bulls for the same odds and prices. Cut the NR tag fees in half and what does this do to the budget, double the price to make it up and see how many laugh and walk away. It’s a double edge sword, CO isn’t managed for trophy status and nothing is wrong with that as long as the herds are healthy.

Last edited:

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
has there ever been a state in existence that decreased NR tags, then successfully raised Resident tags costs to make up the difference? here in iowa i pay $28 for each of my antlered tags, NR are north of $550 plus the few years it takes to apply and get the tags, they proposed raising our tag fees not to long ago and people shit bricks..you'd think as residents of a particular state we would have more pride in providing funding for the herds but sadly it seems to be the complete opposite for some reason

3forks

WKR
I like the 80/20 split idea, too. Also, I would not be opposed to having to prepay for the tags that you're applying for and the state keeping that money until you draw. If you want your money back before you draw your tag, your points go to zero.

*I'm not familiar with the tag application process except in Colorado and Montana, so not sure if what I've described already exists in any states.

TexasCub

WKR
As a new Colorado resident after spending dozens of hours combing through the regulations and researching my options for each species and in what units I have a chance of drawing, I have come to one conclusion. Colorado is all about the money, they care very little about success rates or the experience a hunter will have. Obviously with deer you just gotta draw but the idea that the most likely chance of drawing is going to be second season rifle tag and then you will be in the woods with every single OTC elk hunter both from colorado and every other state is a real bummer. I just don’t get it, it appears the only goal is to sell as many tags as they possibly can.

Lawnboi

WKR
I've been cursed on various forums for this comment. Nothing like holding the nation's wildlife hostage. Cash crop wildlife. Anyone that thinks they are going to default to Canada for deer, elk or sheep,better have deeep pockets. I figure they aren't going to be squeamish about cashing in on our plight. A sport of Kings is where our children are headed. What a shame.

Agree, I'm a young guy still fairly new to hunting out west. I hate to see what it's like when I'm in my 40s and 50s. Everyone wants to take to increase their oppritunity, doesn't take long to understand this reading post such as these on forums. I am not, and will never be wealthy in my line of work, but hope to atleast be able to get out in the future.

Guess I will just have to pick a state and move when the time comes. I live in a state where management is poor imo, tags are cheap, unlimited, and deer herds are suffering for many reasons. Not uncommon to see 5 trucks on a 40 acre piece. I enjoy getting out west, and do pay a lot for it. But I see oppritunity shrinking significantly. Justifiably in some cases, some not.

Don't even get me stared on trophy units, or the point game, which I am way late to the party on. Not to mention sheep, goat and moose, heck that's on my radar for my first hunt once I'm dead, I can't and won't even waste my money applying for them.

Oh and add me to the list of problem children who got in the draw this year. I have wanted to in the past, but being a college student the last few years and racking up thousands of dollars of temporary debt just doesn't work. Now that I'm out of school and working I have the money to front, but don't have to anymore.

Last edited:

robie

WKR
Who all saw the write up from Eastmans LINK

An extra 11K applicants for Bighorn sheep.

There has to be another financial solution to the fees they were facing previously. For those of you who feel passionately about what has been done please take the time to write the Commissioner. If anyone on here is skilled with the pen how about putting together a letter that we can send individually. In my experience only the squeaky wheel get the grease.

Email & Mailing Address

[email protected]

or

Colorado Parks & Wildlife Commission
c/o Commission Assistant​​
Colorado Parks and Wildlife
1313 Sherman St., Denver, CO 80203

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
This is devastating for my future hunting plans in Colorado. I would much rather pay more up front than deal with those odds. I don't even apply for sheep but my plan was to start hunting deer every couple years and this will affect those odds too.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robie thanks for the link. Good info and very sobering. Has anyone done the math on what Colorado is taking in with this new approach, moneywise. With that many new applicants is it just chump change, or is it a significant amount of money? Obviously I’m not where I can do the math myself and I’m not sure I totally understand it anyways. Hoping one of you gurus has already done it

ckleeves

WKR
Robie thanks for the link. Good info and very sobering. Has anyone done the math on what Colorado is taking in with this new approach, moneywise. With that many new applicants is it just chump change, or is it a significant amount of money? Obviously I’m not where I can do the math myself and I’m not sure I totally understand it anyways. Hoping one of you gurus has already done it

My buddy and I were just talking about this. I really don’t think it could be that much in the grand scheme of things. Credit card fees take a few cents, then I think Colorado subs the actual draw process out (could be wrong on that) that has to cost a few cents per app. I know nothing at all about what it takes to to run the website and have the capability to handle 100’s of apps an hour but it all cost money. It just doesn’t seem like there is much left of 3.00 when it’s all said and done.

I was told the previous draw system was loosing money badly. So this may be a break even strategy on the draw.

Trial153

WKR
Not speaking to the Co situation as it is an obvious shit show that most everybody knew was coming.

This almost cant be fixed on a state by state basis. What i mean by that is as long as people like myself are dumping 25-30 applications total in a bunch of states we are going to keep seeing this systematically creep in to every draw regardless of type.
We almost need a hard total cap that encompasses all states.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR

Probably chump change on sheep and goat, will add up though for deer and elk.

I bet we see an increase in fees, $25 next year and $75 after, this would reduce the numbers yet bring in more cash.

Probably chump change on sheep and goat, will add up though for deer and elk.

I bet we see an increase in fees, $25 next year and $75 after, this would reduce the numbers yet bring in more cash.

I’m all for an increase in fees. I’m not rich by any means. I’m just willing to pay a bit more for better odds and I hate to see draw odds ruined by people jumping on that might not value the opportunity as highly. Nothing against those people of course. I was a little frustrated when I saw Colorado’s new application fee structure.

Oregon

WKR
Officially place me in the category of dumping my points next year.

So, I have 10 deer points, anyone have a unit with your favorite honey hole you’re willing to share?
Ha

dotman

WKR
I’m all for an increase in fees. I’m not rich by any means. I’m just willing to pay a bit more for better odds and I hate to see draw odds ruined by people jumping on that might not value the opportunity as highly. Nothing against those people of course. I was a little frustrated when I saw Colorado’s new application fee structure.

Just me guessing but we’ll probably see fees similar to MT at some point, maybe when everyone has the 3pt minimum. Anyone will throw down $3 per species but $50ea for antelope, deer, bear and elk, then add $75ea - $100ea for sheep, goat and moose all non refundable and we’ll see a sharp reduction in people that are not serious.

Has to be the old bait and switch going on.

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
My father-in-law used to be higher up in the division then CPW before he retired, he said the amount of $$ spent just on refunds was staggering not to mention the manpower and administrative things that went along with it. IMO all western states are going to have to do something, not just Colorado. I sent out applications to 10 states this year so probably 20+ different applications.. I know I'm part of the problem.. the only way to fix point creep is to make it so people can't carpet bomb the west with applications, I have no idea how one would do this but in all honesty the only way to fix this that if people have to pick and choose what and where they apply. Sad day when the 0-1 point mule deer hunts go away, which in all reality if thats what these people want to hunt for that really wasn't all that expensive in colorado to apply for. Thats where part of me feels like most of these people are just paying the $3 to get a bonus point without much interest in hunting.. Idk i hope i'm right because i want my mule deer tag this year..its my last hope