Colorado draw odds- any bets?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Like many states, they've dropped the requirement to front tag fees when applying. Based on other states I've seen go to this (Idaho, AZ,) I'm betting draw odds get even worse now. Any bets on either way? Am I missing something that might be different about Colorado?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree definitely an increase in applications coming. People just collect points without any future plan now days. Point creep won't be pretty in five to seven years. If they weren't the spot for big mule deer and so convenient I'd look elsewhere with my money.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think we will undoubtedly be seeing a decrease in draw odds for moose, sheep and goat. Plenty of residents and nonresidents alike didn’t put in for some or all of those due to the upfront costs but will now. I’ll be joining them.

For deer odds I’m not sure if they’ll stray substantially from the current course. The point creep is bad already so will we notice any more than we already do?

Last edited:

svivian

WKR
You betcha it will. Just last year I was having my girlfriend apply for just elk and deer. This year I put her name in every pot and only cost $31... anyone who says it won't is full of it. May not do anything for a While but in 4 or 5 years the wave will hit.

gbflyer

WKR
Hope they eventually let us will our points to our first born. Pretty soon it will be 50 points instead of 20.

The new website is nice and the application process is very easy.

chindits

WKR
The new system is damn gloomy for someone who could manage their money, credit, and tax return to cover all tags for years.

sndmn11

WKR
There is still a fee, $30-40 per species i think, if you don't get an annual license or had any license the year prior. So, if you are just collecting points, you could be out a few hundred dollars if you don't pay attention to the rules.

The system was down today while a NR buddy tried to get on. He sat on hold for 38 minutes to talk to someone, to tell him the system was down. Sadly, I don’t think this will be the first or last time this will happen.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I would wager a bet that 50% of the people who applied for any tag in the Colo draw last year still have no idea about this policy change.

This ignorance won't last much longer.

I really hate this change bc I love Colorado.

bz_711

WKR
Hard to believe hunter numbers are down based on my 25 years hunting IL and 8 years in CO...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yep, it will get worse.......and moose, sheep, and goat will take the largest brunt of it. I wasn't putting my kids in for those three but I am now.

3forks

WKR
I agree with others and anticipate a huge impact to point creep.

This whole thing reminds me of when ski areas in Colorado started competing for skiers by reducing the cost of a season pass to a price that made them affordable to everyone. The increase in the amount of skiers to a specific ski area wasn't too bad. However, with the amount of people moving to the state - and more people buying a season pass and now skiing anytime they wanted (as opposed to skiing less frequently because of the high cost of a single lift ticket) the traffic going to the ski areas makes drive miserable. What once was an hour or 90 minutes drive, now can take upwards of 3 or 4.

I think it will be the same thing with hunters putting in for points. Now, with putting up the money to apply no longer being a limiting factor, there will be a huge increase in the amount of people applying and consequently, that will affect point creep.

Before anyone says that pricing something as a means to exclude people is slippery slope for hunting and hunters in general, I agree with you. However, increasing accessibility for a limited resource that in someways is already nearing capacity will only add to a decline in the user experience.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with others and anticipate a huge impact to point creep.

This whole thing reminds me of when ski areas in Colorado started competing for skiers by reducing the cost of a season pass to a price that made them affordable to everyone. The increase in the amount of skiers to a specific ski area wasn't too bad. However, with the amount of people moving to the state - and more people buying a season pass and now skiing anytime they wanted (as opposed to skiing less frequently because of the high cost of a single lift ticket) the traffic going to the ski areas makes drive miserable. What once was an hour or 90 minutes drive, now can take upwards of 3 or 4.

I think it will be the same thing with hunters putting in for points. Now, with putting up the money to apply no longer being a limiting factor, there will be a huge increase in the amount of people applying and consequently, that will affect point creep.

Before anyone says that pricing something as a means to exclude people is slippery slope for hunting and hunters in general, I agree with you. However, increasing accessibility for a limited resource that in someways is already nearing capacity will only add to a decline in the user experience.
I do have to disagree with you a bit. The people that will apply now do to the chance of no up front cost are going to be collecting points not trying to actually use the resource to hunt because that cost didn't change.
Since this in the muledeer forum everyone should already know Colorado is a top choice and should have been on the radar long ago. I think the greatest impact is going to be on the lower/mid tier units guys use to be able to hunt every 3 to 5 years.
I can see the posts now--- have X number of points I want to burn but I haven't done any research so what's the best unit don't need your honey holes just the trail head and basin thanks.
Once in a lifetime tags will be a whole another story I see applicants double or triple last year's number. Doubtful people will stop throwing $3 at the dream if they are already putting in for Colorado.

3forks

WKR
I do have to disagree with you a bit. The people that will apply now do to the chance of no up front cost are going to be collecting points not trying to actually use the resource to hunt because that cost didn't change.
Since this in the muledeer forum everyone should already know Colorado is a top choice and should have been on the radar long ago. I think the greatest impact is going to be on the lower/mid tier units guys use to be able to hunt every 3 to 5 years.
I can see the posts now--- have X number of points I want to burn but I haven't done any research so what's the best unit don't need your honey holes just the trail head and basin thanks.
Once in a lifetime tags will be a whole another story I see applicants double or triple last year's number. Doubtful people will stop throwing $3 at the dream if they are already putting in for Colorado.

I agree with everything you said.

I didn't articulate my point very well, but the comparison between a season pass and point creep was meant to illustrate the effect that removing a limiting factor would have in both the short and long term.

I'm not suggesting that starting this next year we'll see an increase in hunters in all units. Rather, the whole point system is what I was referring to when I say that system is really already at capacity and not very viable with the issue of point creep that is already inherent to it.

yeah it sucks especially for the big 3. Word is though after they get all these guys sucked in they are going to start raising preference point fees. I 'm already hearing grumblings of 100 for sheep, moose, and goat, and increases in the other species. That may help but it will probably be too little, too late

NICKJ

WKR
Heard the same thing. Three years from expect to pay for pref points after everyone hits the threshold for the big 3

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am betting it definitely will destroy draw odds for the future making it much more difficult. I know that in the past I have had to be selective about what I apply for in Colorado because of finances but this year all bets are off and I am assuming there are a lot of others like me! I am hoping I have at least a three year window on Goats and Sheep!