New Mexico Mule Deer (Rifle) - What to expect for weather and such

skunk

FNG
Hello,

I'm just getting into western big game hunting after a bit of draw odd research for Mule Deer and decided to apply for the Nov 10-14 Rifle season in New Mexico. However, I've never been to New Mexico and don't know what I should expect as far as weather conditions and such at that time of year.

Weather:
I saw some data on Gohunt that said average high is like 70 and low is around 40. Is that accurate for southwestern NM? I'll be in the Gila / Aldo Leopold Wilderness areas most likely (assuming my party gets drawn).

Driving / Roads:
If I have a 4 wheel drive Tacoma TRD Off Road with stock everything, will I be OK on most of the labeled dirt roads? I've tried checking some of them out via satellite view and some look pretty gnarly but it's difficult to tell.

Water:
My group will be backpacking in and camping (hopefully a few miles in). Is water pretty readily available in the Gila / Aldo Leopold or should we plan on packing in as much water as possible?

Critters:
Are there any dangerous critters I should be worried about at this time of year? Scorpions, snakes, spiders, etc. I'd guess these types of critters would be dormant around this time of year but I thought I'd ask just in case :)

Thanks!

Trial153

WKR
Some of the roads in the Gila are narly yes, but you will be fine with your truck. If not just park and walk. Plan on bringing water, it will make camping easier especially if you can camp higher up.
I wouldnt worry about critters, but i never do any way ..that time of the year you will be fine.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Maybe rattlesnakes but I’ve never even seen a scorpion in New Mexico (seen a ton in Arizona).

There are black bears and mountain lions but they should leave you alone, especially if you aren’t solo.

You’re truck will be fine, I had more or less the same truck as you and never had any issues.

The weather should be mild but NM is windy so take some extra layers just in case.

watch the weather before you go if you draw. I've been in there when it's so dry you can hardly find water. other times every canyon has water flowing in the bottom. Definitely take some 2.5 or 5 gallon carbuoys for in your vehicle.
There's not critters behind every rock, but don't be stupid either. I've seen lizards out in January down there. Take your time and look where you're walking. Gila means 'steep land of loose ankle-breaking rocks' in the Mimbres language, so you won't be walking very fast anyways.

Hunted that area and that time frame in 2016. archer Wapiti is correct.......it is STEEP.
We hiked in enough water for the first couple days and the hiked down to replenish. PLAN TO PACK WATER.....or plan to hike a lot to go get it....period.
Roads are narly for sure. You will be mostly good with your TRD.
We didn't see any bad critters, but did run into A LOT of bear scat. Keep your food hung in a tree, don't wipe your hands on your clothes and preferably eat away from camp. We would eat and glass until dark and then pretty much hike back and hit the hay to make sure we were up early to glass and first light.

View attachment 68977

Its a really beautiful area. We had crappy luck in the fact that we hunted during the SUPER MOON and deer were being nocturnal. Plus with the bear(s) and what were think were a cougar or two.....the chips were not in our favor. if you can hack it, hike in as far as you can to get away from the truck camping crews and you will have more luck and more fun.

OP
S

skunk

FNG
Thanks for the info folks. We plan to hoof it back in as far as we can manage. I'm hoping for a few miles at least but I don't completely know what to expect since this will be the first backpacking hunt for all of us (me, my friend, and his teenage son). We're all in the process of gearing up and if we do get drawn, we'll begin a training regiment to make sure we're ready come fall.

RoJo

WKR
The weather could be significantly warmer than 70 during the day. Probably not much cooler. It depends on the elevation as well. Sometimes the higher elevations make their own weather. Check the forecast before you go and adjust accordingly.

Your truck will be fine, unless you are the type that recoils in horror at the thought of what we call "desert pin-striping". You should see the paint on my Tacoma!

Water...yeah, it will totally depend on how much precipitation there has been in the weeks leading up to your hunt. The suggestion to keep a bunch of extra water at your vehicle just in case is good advice.

Rattlesnakes will almost certainly still be out in November, at least in the lower elevations...unless a cold front comes through. And will be most active during the day. I would not be too concerned, however. Just watch where you put your hands and feet.

EDIT: I ran into this diamondback last Nov on my mule deer hunt here in AZ.
37543604694_dbb717ea09_z.jpg

Last edited:
The weather could be significantly warmer than 70 during the day. Probably not much cooler. It depends on the elevation as well. Sometimes the higher elevations make their own weather. Check the forecast before you go and adjust accordingly.

Your truck will be fine, unless you are the type that recoils in horror at the thought of what we call "desert pin-striping". You should see the paint on my Tacoma!

Water...yeah, it will totally depend on how much precipitation there has been in the weeks leading up to your hunt. The suggestion to keep a bunch of extra water at your vehicle just in case is good advice.

Rattlesnakes will almost certainly still be out in November, at least in the lower elevations...unless a cold front comes through. And will be most active during the day. I would not be too concerned, however. Just watch where you put your hands and feet.

EDIT: I ran into this diamondback last Nov on my mule deer hunt here in AZ.
37543604694_dbb717ea09_z.jpg

Rattle snakes in November. That's Horrible !