CO and Gohunt-I'm lost

OP
Jacob Chapman
When I'm looking at a new unit, I look at the potential amount of people that could be in it. I add up all of the tags that occur during that time frame. For example, last year I hunted a new unit during 3rd rifle for male mule deer. I found out how many tags there were for that hunt code. Then, I found out how many doe tags there were. I also found out how many cow elk tags were allowed. I added up all of those numbers and realized that it would be crowded. It was also in an area that was OTC for bull elk. I knew going in that it would be crowded based off of those numbers.

I'm afraid the early rifle is going to be over-crowded. Sounds like it's in a place that gets a ton of recreational hikers as well, although it is a wilderness area so no ATV's allowed thankfully.

OP
Jacob Chapman
That's a tough question to answer; they're two totally different hunts. I think it more depends on what kind of weather you want to hunt in/time of the year you want to spend in the mountains. And perhaps what gear you currently.

The early rifle hunts that you're looking at are designated wilderness only hunts and are going to require you to put a lot of hiking in at high altitude during middle September. It's an awesome time to be in the mountains and those high altitude hunts can be a lot of fun regardless of whether you kill one. The weather can generally be unpredictable though and you probably should have a nice backpacking tent with a rainfly. I would make sure I had some good lightweight gear and was in great shape before going on that hunt. Obviously you don't NEED all that stuff but they would certainly make the hunt more doable.

The second rifle hunt is mid to late October and will be significantly colder. Like I said it's just a different time to be in the mountains. You'll definitely need to be prepared for much colder weather and that may be a gear investment if you don't have some stuff already. A warm sleeping bag, probably gaiters would be a good thing to have, as well as some sort of wind breaking layer. It's a prerut hunt that sometimes will get a little rut action. I've hunted second rifle the past couple seasons on leftover/reissue tags and I think overall it's a bit of a frustrating hunt as you're hoping for the rut to kick and not sure whether to take a smaller buck or wait for bigger bucks to show themselves.

If it were me I would find the hunt that had the highest success rate while still being in an area that sounded interesting to hunt, then go for it. I think others might make the decision differently. Either way you get to hunt deer in Colorado in the fall, how could you go wrong?

I'm pretty well set for gear for myself, however my wife is going to be coming along and she wouldn't handle the cold real well, decided to go the early season and just hope to be able to get away from people. Either way, it's going to be an awesome experience!

One thing I don't have is a spotter, going to look into renting or possibly borrowing a good one. Excited to test my new SLC's out this fall in some high mountain basins!

Have been re-reading Rob Dennings book, and trying to find my copy of Dwight Schuh's book on muleys as well!!!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty well set for gear for myself, however my wife is going to be coming along and she wouldn't handle the cold real well, decided to go the early season and just hope to be able to get away from people. Either way, it's going to be an awesome experience!

One thing I don't have is a spotter, going to look into renting or possibly borrowing a good one. Excited to test my new SLC's out this fall in some high mountain basins!

Have been re-reading Rob Dennings book, and trying to find my copy of Dwight Schuh's book on muleys as well!!!
I have this book pm me your address I'll loan you my copy

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rolocasi

FNG
Trying to figure out how I can bowhunt Colorado for mules this year, I have a few more days before I have to choose a unit. Looking for the classic muley hunt-hiking up to high mountain basins and letting my optics do the legwork.

I called the hunt planner # for Colorado yesterday, dude told me there aren't any units I can guarantee to draw with no points-Gohunt website telling me otherwise.

Anybody familiar with either site able to point me in the right direction?

Bro, there is a ton of 0 point units to draw with archery. Check out Toprut - Western Big Game Hunting Reference ang do to the co odds. So many good archery mule deer buck units to be had for archery that you can draw every year! Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jacob Chapman
Bro, there is a ton of 0 point units to draw with archery. Check out Toprut - Western Big Game Hunting Reference ang do to the co odds. So many good archery mule deer buck units to be had for archery that you can draw every year! Best of luck.

I spoke with someone at Gohunt and he was extremely helpful. I put a preference point as my 1st choice, gonna go early rifle to get my feet wet on high mountain hunting. My wife is coming along, so this is more for the experience vs trying to get a huge buck.

rolocasi

FNG
Best of luck, a few units you can draw as second choice and still get points. Colorado is “the” mule deer state. Best of luck! Gohunt is great, but also like toprut as its free.