Think you’re good at aging mule deer??

Awesome!!!! Thank you the opportunity to win the shirt as well as the lesson in aging animals. Never would have guessed that elk to be 7 years old without the hints.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Crazy. And here I was I expecting Robby to not shoot a mule deer unless it was at least 5.5-6.5!

Round 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll usually shoot anything nice on the last day.

Well I don't feel too bad. I was on or within one year of all the deer on my one try. I missed the elk by two years though :)

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I can’t remember if you said in your book or not, but how old were your big bucks Robby? Your 190+ deer.

All the big ones average around 6yrs. The two biggest, as in inches grown, were both 5yrs

Genetics play a huge part in all this. For example, the highest scoring buck from the most recent samples we sent to the lab was Travis Hobbs 226” buck. He was only 3 1/2 years old. Incredible.

And in this little contest we had, I noticed a lot of people kept scoring Tanyas deer as the youngest probably do too it’s light antlers and light body, and my 3 1/2 year-old as the oldest, but it was exactly the opposite. Tanyas was the oldest. That’s why I lab age because you really can’t tell. I’ve had taxidermists spout off to me how they looked at hundreds and hundreds of them and they know what they are and then I pull a tooth and send it to the lab and they’re rarely within even a year of what the buck actually ages. This stuff is tough to gauge. The more I do it the more I realize you can’t often tell within closer than a few years.

Last edited:

JustHunt

FNG
Wow, can't believe deer #3 is only 4.5 years old. I thought that thing looked ancient.