Nevada...

amp713

WKR
So id found a Muley hunt for Nevada a couple years back, decided I was going to finally start putting in this year.... tag numbers have dropped an insane amount since the year I first looked.

Is Nevada deer herds a lost cause?

I was going to apply for deer and sheep but the hunt I wanted for deer is down to only 2 NR tags and odds for sheep aren't much better... I've been debating for a month now and its time to make a decision....

530Chukar

WKR
Nevada deer herds are in a steady decline. The hunt digest or whatever they call it that they sent out this year shows all the populations over the past few years. There is a lot of low deer density areas in Nevada. I don't know if your hunt area falls into one of these. On the other hand there are other units where deer herds are thriving. NR tags are declining almost everywhere anymore.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I wanted a late season tag as it didn't overlap any other hunts, the year I found it there were 30+ non res now it's down to 2 tags total...

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So id found a Muley hunt for Nevada a couple years back, decided I was going to finally start putting in this year.... tag numbers have dropped an insane amount since the year I first looked.

Is Nevada deer herds a lost cause?

I was going to apply for deer and sheep but the hunt I wanted for deer is down to only 2 NR tags and odds for sheep aren't much better... I've been debating for a month now and its time to make a decision....

You just have to switch units when that happens, your odds of drawing a permit are so low in a unit like that, even the units with lots of tags the draws are tough. Welcome to Nevada, but I don’t think it’s a lost cause as long as you can afford the points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
You just have to switch units when that happens, your odds of drawing a permit are so low in a unit like that, even the units with lots of tags the draws are tough. Welcome to Nevada, but I don’t think it’s a lost cause as long as you can afford the points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like all the late archery units got the ax and I already have too many earlier hunts haha

I should re phrase all the late season hunts I was looking at got a huge tag cut.......

With NV muley populations on a steady decline, tag cuts are going to happen until the trend reverses. Either switch up the hunts or plan on waiting longer to draw a tag.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Hey do you have to pay for a hunting license to apply for sheep bonus points and elk but not deer or is the website just being weird?

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Just kidding got it figured out and am in for the draws as well as dream tags....

Hopefully I can draw the late hunt before it's no longer a thing

While I see the number of tags decreasing, this is a plus for overcrowding hunters. I hear horror stories and have seen in person loads of hunters all clambering for just a few deer. Kinda glad that Nevada manages their hunt units correctly. There is nothing worse than seeing a hunter every 200 - 400 yards.

Last year I never saw any other hunters during the archery seeing. Might I suggest picking up a bow? Also try different hunt units, places more difficult to access? Deer migrate around and move from high to low hunting pressures, so if you are not picky about units, then you should be successful.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
While I see the number of tags decreasing, this is a plus for overcrowding hunters. I hear horror stories and have seen in person loads of hunters all clambering for just a few deer. Kinda glad that Nevada manages their hunt units correctly. There is nothing worse than seeing a hunter every 200 - 400 yards.

Last year I never saw any other hunters during the archery seeing. Might I suggest picking up a bow? Also try different hunt units, places more difficult to access? Deer migrate around and move from high to low hunting pressures, so if you are not picky about units, then you should be successful.

I'm aiming for late season archery hunts.... I really only bow hunt and I want a late season since August and September are always stacked...

I'm aiming for late season archery hunts.... I really only bow hunt and I want a late season since August and September are always stacked...

That is cool and glad to hear that you bow hunt. I also applied for a late season hunt for archery but they were well down on my preference lists. Let us both find luck in our lotteries.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I should draw a LE Utah deer tag finally this year with 8 points (as a resident), I plan to focus a lot on that so if I don't draw much out of state this year I won't be too upset haha but an extra tag wouldn't hurt

just out of curiosity, what is causing the population decline?

long term issues are quality/quantity of habitat (especially on winter range, due to development), P&J encroachment, over hunting, a handful of hard winters and timing of winters, etc.

GrantMan

Lil-Rokslider
There seems to be a variety of reasons why the populations are declining. I recall reading one of Mike Eastman's books and he contributed the high mule deer populations in the 50's was due to the lack of hunting during WWII, strong predator management and overgrazing of cattle leaving mostly woody shrubs on the range. This observation makes a lot of sense to me.

In talking to cowboys and ranchers in areas that I have hunted who have a historical account of deer in the range they manage they believe the decline is due to drought and large lion populations.

I have also noticed in areas that have minimal water sources and a large population of feral nags that deer are far and few between.