2017 Muzz Buck

VANDAL

WKR
I’ve always struggled posting pics on Rokslide but I just registered to TapaTalk...hopefully this works. If no pics show let me know.

Here’s a pic of a buck I shot last year with a muzzleloader. 28” wide, 190. I gave Robby the bottom teeth and he lab aged at 7 years old.

First buck I’ve killed with a muzzy and I really enjoyed the process throughout the summer in becoming efficient with the gun and load. He was with 5 other bucks so it took some time and crafty moves to get within range. It was day 9 of the hunt, and this was by far the biggest buck I had seen, so I didn’t want to miss on the opportunity. One shot kill through the boiler room at 105 yards. He ran about 30 yards then tumbled down the mountain.

487061a953ebe42c910a8acbc5a78286.jpg

46207015097629ea23e2eb638c4a1eee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats, nice buck! Yes photos are showing

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
Nice, I’m glad it posted. Thanks for the comments.

The muzzleloader used was a .50 CVA Accura V2 with a peep for the rear site and I made my own front site. 90 grains of Triple 7 with 348 gr lead Powerbelt. Initially I was worried about the performance of the bullet on the animal but it grouped so well during practice compared to others I went with it. I boned out the buck (gutless method) so I didn’t get a real good look at the insides, but the bullet broke the front shoulder and appeared to make soup of lungs and internal organs. No exit wound. I was impressed with the damage.

Kimbersig

WKR
Nice buck! may I ask which peep you used? and how it performed in low light? I have the same ML and working on making it legal for the states that don't allow scopes. been eyeing several different rear peeps but have been concerned balancing accuracy vs visibility in lower light condiditons.

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
The peep is a Williams sight WGRS. I also got some interchangeable peeps with different hole sizes to try but ended up going with the size it came with. Didn’t have issues in low light but I’m no muzzy guru...just a rookie that got lucky!

I’m hooked now though!

OP
V

VANDAL

WKR
Hey LaGriz...thanks! I can’t see the pic though?

It was a requirement to use open sights. If you’re having difficulties with the peep maybe try one with a larger hole size. I still think that may be more accurate than a V sight.

Some of you will laugh but I basically just used a filed down iron sight for the front and painted a small neon dot. No fiber optics as I thought that covered too much of the target and reduced accuracy. I looked at all the other options out there (Lynman) but was concerned about the durability. I knew the gun would be in and out of my eberlsestock pack so I wanted something tough and reliable. Also for open sights I prefer a low profile sight where I can look right down the barrel...maybe that’s from using shotguns or a 22 when I was younger. I felt I could locate the target and be more accurate looking down the barrel.

My max range was around 175 yards.