OTC states

eric.goodwin.376

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some over the counter states. Just some general knowledge work in pa so it’s hard to justify a draw Tag without knowing if I can get off work. Mule deer is on my next hunt list and want to start looking into it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

eric.goodwin.376

Lil-Rokslider
Like to have options of both archery and rifle. Rifle might be easier for my first trip until I can get a understanding of hunting them?

Like to have options of both archery and rifle. Rifle might be easier for my first trip until I can get a understanding of hunting them?

There are many states you can draw tags easy in certain units. Colorado has some units that 1 preference point will get you drawn.

bohntr

WKR
AZ, CO, WY, NM, NV, MT, KS, UT do NOT offer OTC tags for rifle hunts. AZ has OTC tags for archery only in most of the units. The rest of the states listed are draw only......although some units in each respective state can be drawn with little to no points. ID is first come first serve and probably your best bet for the weapon type you want.

Surely there is a website out there that shows every state, what tags they offer for NR OTC, with prices, apply by dates etc..... If there is such a beast I'm unaware.

Also if one of y'all do so I want at least a 1¢ royalty hahahahahaha

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
E

eric.goodwin.376

Lil-Rokslider
Surely there is a website out there that shows every state, what tags they offer for NR OTC, with prices, apply by dates etc..... If there is such a beast I'm unaware.

Also if one of y'all do so I want at least a 1¢ royalty hahahahahaha

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I’ve been looking a lot and haven’t came up with much all old news, thanks everyone for the help

OTC versus non-OTC isn't a hard distinction with mule deer. Pick a state and area you want and go for it. CO-zero or few point archery hunts and I think there's some very low point rifle hunts though I haven't really looked into it. Montana-nearly 100% draw odds on a mule deer license where you can hunt in the rut with a rifle. Utah-depending on the general unit, you can hunt ones with zero to one point that produce some good (if usually not great) bucks. Arizona-OTC archery. Idaho OTC for both but some good hunts are unlimited controlled hunts also. There's even Nebraska and the Dakotas. Lots of options but I wouldn't make too much of the OTC versus non-OTC distinction because it's blurred and depends on the state and you might overlook some good options that don't require years of applying. Don't feel like you just need to go to Idaho or Arizona. I'd at least take a peek at Montana and Colorado because they can have some good mule deer hunting before writing them off.

I think it’s relevant to this conversation, based on the OP’s stated needs, to mention that Colorado does offer refunds for drawn tags:

“To get a refund OR preference point(s) restored, you must relinquish your license and carcass tag at least 30 days before opening day of the season for which the license is valid. License must be accompanied by a completed request form obtained at a CPW location or the website. Most refunds are subject to a $15 processing fee.”

So if you’re worried about knowing whether you can take time off work, which is what you stated, then as long as you have at least 30 days notice of that you should be able to get your tag refunded no problem. Obviously the Colorado draw deadline has come and passed this year, but for future years it’s definitely worth considering applying for a draw tag in Colorado.

AZ otc for muley and coues. mid august. late december. january.
there are leftover elk tags currently they will start taking apps on in a few weeks but not great units. if you are active military there are some great elk hunts left up at camp navajo in az.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I believe UT has change there OTC to any. Bow ML or rifle
You can buy an any weapon OTC tag for a general unit for elk starting this year, but not for deer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
Oregon has otc archery mule deer in most units.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NM is OTC on private land, any weapon (season) except GMU's (2,4,5A). Of course you will most likely have to marry into it or need an outfitter to get access to that. We don't have preference points and some units are easier to draw than you would think. Coming from PA I would start the points game in CO and WY for archery you could draw every couple years and hit ID if you just have to go soon. IMO Oregon and Idaho are a long way from PA and wouldn't be worth the drive for a mule deer there. AZ coues would be fun to try in August you would be more successful with a tree stand on water. You can put in for their rifle hunts and even get leftover tags and still archery hunt I believe.