Treeline temps

Doing my first mule deer archery hunt in CO late August. Think I'd like to spike out from camp so I'm can glass at first and last light better, but unsure on what to plan for temps and wind if I'm sleeping at 10,000'. What is the difference in conditions near the top of the mountain and somewhat exposed compared to the 8500' base camp in the trees? Trying to fine tune gear list during a 20" mid-April snowstorm in Wisconsin.
Thanks for any insight.

DOP

hobbes

WKR
Treeline is more like 11,000 plus in Colorado. Temperature differences from 8500 to 11000 probably average 15 is degrees, but can vary depending on the weather system. The biggest difference is the change from rain to snow between there somewhere. However, while that's possible, I think the more likely danger above treeline in August is thunderstorms with insane lightning. Hiking up and down from 8500 to treeline daily will be hell if you aren't in top physical condition no matter how determined you are.

Also you may experience difficulties in sleep at elevation. Seems to affect some and not others so if suggest a plan B around 7K if possible. Or spending a night half way up on the way up may help.

gumbl3

WKR
Where I was in August, the storms rolled in every afternoon... getting from 8500 to 12K took me a couple hours in the morning but I wasn't man enough to ride out those storms.. too much lightning for me

I worked at 10,300' for 32 years and at 11,300' for 2 years in CO. I bowhunted at an above those elevations every year I lived there. There is a reason trees don't make it above about 11,500' in the central CO Rockies.... temps are too low combined with high(er) winds.

My experience from commuting from 5,800' to 10,300' every work day was that on an average temps would be 20*F colder at elevation. And working at 11,300' was a step colder than 10,300, but the location was about 60 air miles away so not apples to apples.

At treeline as mentioned above the thunderstorms are brutal and frequent. Stay off the ridges when one is approaching. The winds can be strong so keep something to break the wind in the pack...rain gear like KUIU Chugach works great. You will sunburn really easily so have sun screen and hat/cap to shade your eyes and face a bit.

If I have a choice and it doesn't add too much to the hike I prefer to camp in the trees just below treeline versus above. That said I camp above treeline frequently to save on the hiking, to be able to glass right from camp at first and last light, etc.

I've never carried a stove to heat the tent or dry out gear in 46 years of back country backpack hunting. I go to bed damp (or wet) and let my body heat dry the clothes I am wearing that I want dried out. Works fine for me whether in CO or the past 8 years in BC, NWT etc.

Good luck in CO!

OP
B
Thanks for input guys. I was expecting that I'd be camping just below the treeline around 10k to get out of the wind. Didn't think about thunderstorms. Seems most of the thunderstorms I've ridden out in CO elk hunting were the mid-afternoon. Suppose I need to plan for midnight storm also. Murphy won't allow it, but sure would be nice to find some water and clear path to a glassing spot around 9500.
Thanks again.

JDZ

WKR
How are you guys riding out the thunderstorms? Dropping below tree line?

Many places look like the only spot flat enough to pitch a tent is on ridges, which isn't a good place to be sleeping in a thunderstorm. What are you doing where you want your camp up where you want to glass from?

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
How are you guys riding out the thunderstorms?

Lots of praying...

One thing to keep in mind.... when you’re on google earth pick out a few spots that you think will work. Then when you hit the trail and pack in, give yourself PLENTY of time to evaluate your predetermined camp spot before the dark (and ideally before the afternoon t-storm hits).

A few years ago, I thought I had everything figured out on GE. Found a nice bench with some cover 1,000 ft or so off the top of the ridge. I hit the trailhead later than I wanted and was racing daylight and a t-storm to get to my predetermined camp spot... anyways, what I didn’t see on GE was that every single tree on that bench was singed from lightning. By the time I got there it I had a t-storm right on top of me and daylight was starting to fade. I ended having to hunker down and stayed in that spot, but if I had some alternates picked out ahead of time and a little more daylight, I definitely would have stayed elsewhere.

If you can’t find a flat spot, you can usually kick out a deer bed or find a rock and do some light excavating. (If you kick out a bed always use your heel/toe don’t use the side of your foot.) ... if you still can’t manage a flat spot, just set up camp with your head uphill. Not as comfortable, but it can work in a pinch.

There are almost always a flat(ter) place to put a small two man or one man pack tent. Bigger tents (large tipis) are likely to be a real issue. You often find a spot in the "Krumholtz" which are the very thick stunted pine that grows just below treeline. They can really provide good wind protection and are often close to good glassing. You will screw up the immediate area you are camping in for elk and deer hunting though due to your scent.