Heading to New Mexico! 2b

Bobbyboe

WKR
First off, sorry to the guys who didn’t get drawn this year. Couldn’t believe how steep the odds were for us non residents!

This was my first time ever applying to New Mexico and I was able to draw a 2b early rifle hunt (3rd choise). I can’t effing believe it!!!! Wow, didn’t expect it.

Time to start pouring over maps and sattalite imaging. Any tips or advice? I know it’s not the (top end) season, but dang, there has to be some deer there!

JustHunt

FNG
Apology accepted. Lol! Like you, it was my first year putting in as well, thought I might snag a tag in 2b thinking they want to hook a first year applicant or just through beginners luck. Never been there so can't share any info. But goodluck, get a good one!

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
You should see tons of deer, but its tough uncovering a big boy though, but there will definitely be some in there. Good Luck.

Last edited:

RyanCmns

WKR
I've never been able to draw that tag as a resident! My buddy drew the Jan tag this year though so I'll be helping him out my advise would be to get your feet on the ground big unit lots of land to hunt and a lot of deer best of luck

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
That’s guys! I’m super excited, but it definitely is an intimidating unit. The intimidation factor comes from the fact that the chances of me drawing the tag again are slim. Also, the unit is regarded by some as one of the better tags out west. It’s how I felt when I drew a Wyoming region G tag a few years ago. I know I won’t be able to go back there for many many years because of point creep.

I can’t believe the different experiences people have. Some guys hunted it and only saw a hand full of deer a day and only small bucks. Others see 50 plus deer a day. It makes me wonder if it’s the locations within the unit they are hunting, or if it’s hunting style. Or, it could possibly be glassing skills?

RyanCmns

WKR
That’s guys! I’m super excited, but it definitely is an intimidating unit. The intimidation factor comes from the fact that the chances of me drawing the tag again are slim. Also, the unit is regarded by some as one of the better tags out west. It’s how I felt when I drew a Wyoming region G tag a few years ago. I know I won’t be able to go back there for many many years because of point creep.

I can’t believe the different experiences people have. Some guys hunted it and only saw a hand full of deer a day and only small bucks. Others see 50 plus deer a day. It makes me wonder if it’s the locations within the unit they are hunting, or if it’s hunting style. Or, it could possibly be glassing skills?
I'd say they are driving roads the last time I helped some buddy's in that unit depending on the weather if it's not muddy a lot of people are just driving roads we walked 200yards off a location and glassed up a nice buck bedded in a canyon with a bunch of doe's just get off the road find a good vantage point and be patient. The governor's tag 2 or 3 years ago came out of 2b I want to say he scored 215 or so

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
I'd say they are driving roads the last time I helped some buddy's in that unit depending on the weather if it's not muddy a lot of people are just driving roads we walked 200yards off a location and glassed up a nice buck bedded in a canyon with a bunch of doe's just get off the road find a good vantage point and be patient. The governor's tag 2 or 3 years ago came out of 2b I want to say he scored 215 or so

Thanks for the info. PS, good luck on your buddies tag! Hopefully you’ll draw one for yourself next year!

lif

WKR
I’ve been trying to draw that tag for my son last couple years. Sounds like a fun hunt to see lots of animals Good luck.

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but the early rifle hunt is very rough and even the late hunt is over rated. The does are the first to migrate and will be there with the forkies but very rarely are there any bucks over 2 or 3 years old south of the CO border without a huge weather event. Even then majority of them tough it out on Southern Ute until the does are in estrous. I would look for resident deer in southern border of the unit and be prepared to use any methods you can -glassing, tracking, pushing etc. The bucks that live in 2B year round are not stupid and have great escape cover and instincts. Rarely are they out when the sun hits their back. Good Luck!

Cjdad

FNG
My son drew this tag for youth archery Jan 1-15 through the outfitter pool. I've been reading all I can and our first time using an outfitter so we'll see how it goes.

Foldem

WKR
I had a fun hunt. Saw about 40 bucks in 2.5 days before I had to head home for work. Saw one far off buck that I thought might be a shooter but other than that lots of two points and a few 3 year olds. Tons of forkies getting whacked by locals and lots of road hunters. In hindsight I wish I would have had the late archery tag.