Sd Badlands

Lowe43

FNG
I got drawn for a special buck tag will be hunting the frying pan ranch just south of kadoka anyone have input on expectations for this area in view of opportunity and size for mule deer

KurtR

WKR
i think you will see lots of deer both whitetail and mule deer. i would say 160 would be very doable on mules in that country

Wish SoDak would change there stance on special buck tags and allow the hunter to hunt public ground with that tag. Good luck to you. Bow hunt around that area. Saw a couple nice mule deer last fall but very far and few between. Spend a lot of time behind your glass.

OP
L

Lowe43

FNG
We are looking forward to it my buddy and i were both drawn we are both retired army we tried idaho last year and in unit 36b near clayton the only deer we saw were on privite land. This year we will be on a ranch hopefully we have more opportunities we are by means not expecting a 200 inch deer just to see a few and to have a chance at a respectable deer is all we are after

KurtR

WKR
After Hunting Idaho for elk the last two years it is going to be like walking down main street when comparing terrain. I can't say for sure but I would bet a large sum of money you see a bunch of deer with a couple that will get your heart racing. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Probably some good grouse hunting to if you want to throw the shotgun in and take a day off from deer.

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
Keeps people off public land? Isn’t that the whole purpose of public lands?

The purpose of the "special buck tag" is for hunting on private land. West/east river, archery, black hills deer tag, etc. let you hunt public or private land. It's not like theres no options to hunt public.

KurtR

WKR
The purpose of the "special buck tag" is for hunting on private land. West/east river, archery, black hills deer tag, etc. let you hunt public or private land. It's not like theres no options to hunt public.

That's exactly how I look at it to. It is another tool to help the gfp manage opportunity along with working with land owners.

Redman

FNG
Bret and Tammy are great people. You will have an opportunity at a good buck. I love that country...

OP
L

Lowe43

FNG
Bret and Tammy are great people. You will have an opportunity at a good buck. I love that country...

Have you hunted with them before I take it you have since you know thier names what's the ranch like in terms of terrain any tips first time in SD not even sure what a Badland is a draw,cut or hill ?

Fatcamp

WKR
Badlands refers to a weird kind of chalky soil that erodes in a cool pattern and doesn't grow much. Google "Badlands National Park" to get an idea of what you are heading into. The draws can be stumpy trees and the flats sagebrush and short grass. Cool landscape. We will hunt antelope by the Park this year.

wjj605

FNG
Badlands refers to a weird kind of chalky soil that erodes in a cool pattern and doesn't grow much. Google "Badlands National Park" to get an idea of what you are heading into. The draws can be stumpy trees and the flats sagebrush and short grass. Cool landscape. We will hunt antelope by the Park this year.
Hey Fatcamp, I am curious how your hunt went around the park? Were there many antelope?

Fatcamp

WKR
Hey Fatcamp, I am curious how your hunt went around the park? Were there many antelope?

Not a lot of antelope at all. In fact, they drastically cut tags this year.

Cool place to hunt, but not a strong population.

We are into location as much as game though, so for us it's a good deal.

wjj605

FNG
Not a lot of antelope at all. In fact, they drastically cut tags this year.

Cool place to hunt, but not a strong population.

We are into location as much as game though, so for us it's a good deal.
So I take it that you didn't harvest a pronghorn? Either way, thanks for the info!

KurtR

WKR
I would guess they are really spread out wettest year in history there so water holes
every where. That’s how it is around here also

Fatcamp

WKR
So I take it that you didn't harvest a pronghorn? Either way, thanks for the info!

We aren't very good at this so for tags we are 2 for 5 in three attempts. I think better hunters could have filled all of those tags. As our skills improve we can see our previous mistakes and recognize where to change. We like to walk and explore so it has been a great place for us.

The draw odds are rough now and honestly there are much better populations elsewhere with better draw odds. That said, it is a tag worth having in my opinion. Especially if you like to walk.

Couldn't agree more with KurtR. The grass is out of control this year. Water everywhere.

Are you resident or non? SDGFP website has previous draw odds to give you an idea what it will take.

wjj605

FNG
We aren't very good at this so for tags we are 2 for 5 in three attempts. I think better hunters could have filled all of those tags. As our skills improve we can see our previous mistakes and recognize where to change. We like to walk and explore so it has been a great place for us.

The draw odds are rough now and honestly there are much better populations elsewhere with better draw odds. That said, it is a tag worth having in my opinion. Especially if you like to walk.

Couldn't agree more with KurtR. The grass is out of control this year. Water everywhere.

Are you resident or non? SDGFP website has previous draw odds to give you an idea what it will take.
I drew a tag for around the Badlands this fall (I am a resident). This is why I am curious to hear from you, someone who has hunted around there before. The thing is, it is my first ever antelope tag so I am really trying to do anything I can to give myself a chance at harvesting a buck. One of the reasons I applied there was because the Badlands provide such a special and unique setting for a hunt.

KurtR

WKR
You are talking rifle tag if so killing a goat with a rifle isn’t hard if you are not looking for a booner