Southern New Mexico: Where can I expect to find muleys?

skunk

FNG
I drew my mule deer 2nd rifle tag (Nov 10-14) for a southern New Mexico unit that has mountains in the 7-8k ft range but also some more arid, less mountainous area.

The larger, more remote sections of this unit are in the more mountainous area and I'd really prefer to spend my time in that area which includes sections of the Gila National Forest and Aldo Leopold Wilderness. I'll be backpacking in and camping and it seems more appealing to spend time in that terrain.

As a mule deer newbie, I'm not sure if I will be able to find deer in the mountains in November or if they tend to migrate out.

The way I imagine this working is that I get back into some steep and rugged country where others aren't willing to go and then spot and stalk. However, I want to make sure I'm focusing on the right terrain for that time of year.

Where should I generally expect the deer to be in that second rifle season? Also, would it be worth scouting earlier in the year or should I just get down there a few days early and scout then?

Thanks!

You'll find deer at any elevation, in any terrain down there. I grew up in southern NM and I've seen several large deer cruising the creosote flats as well as being up in the 7-8k range. It just depends on the unit and the pressure. By the 2nd rifle hunt the deer have been pounded pretty good. I would recommend staying as mobile as possible and have good glass. The 2nd rifle hunt is tough because it's only 5 days long so you don't have a lot of time to spend in areas where you're not seeing deer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
S

skunk

FNG
You'll find deer at any elevation, in any terrain down there. I grew up in southern NM and I've seen several large deer cruising the creosote flats as well as being up in the 7-8k range. It just depends on the unit and the pressure. By the 2nd rifle hunt the deer have been pounded pretty good. I would recommend staying as mobile as possible and have good glass. The 2nd rifle hunt is tough because it's only 5 days long so you don't have a lot of time to spend in areas where you're not seeing deer.

Are the deer likely to just be dispersed around or do they group up and head into certain areas? I'm guessing with the hunting pressure from the previous week, they'll be hiding out wherever they can.

Would it be a good strategy to find timbered areas (cover) where one could glass from afar?

I would look for burn scars and start with the most recent and work backward chronologically. Also, be aware there are plenty of coues deer in this (speculating your unit based off of wilderness) unit as well and your tag is good for both if its that unit. If your not finding big mule deer you could shoot a coues on water if your patient enough. PM me and I can help more if your interested.

efnm

WKR
I am not a good hunter IMO but have killed mule deer 3 of the 4 tags I have drawn here in the past 5 years, so here is my advice:

1: Get some intel on general areas that people like to hunt.
2: Find water in the area that you are targeting, hopefully due to some feedback you got on step 1. Water could mean natural or manmade tanks. I stick with manmade tanks or windmills where I can and this year that is important because it will be pretty dry I bet.
3. Find canyons or big ridges on the other side of the water away from the nearest road or trail and hunt there. Most hunters here don't leave the road and even drive/ATV right up to the water! This pushes the deer away.
4. Pick a spot that has a good vantage point of this area and glass or hunt.

I should add that I've always hunted the 2nd hunts because I play the odds of trying for less desirable hunts in order to hunt deer more often.

dane2992

FNG
ill be hitting up the southern area of the Gila as well in beginning of Nov. Hopefully some of the pressure has faded some when I make my hunt.