51B/ 6A-6C New Mexico Archery

ARNZ

FNG
My wife and I were fortunate enough to draw archery tags for New Mexico Mule deer. She drew 51B and I drew 6a and 6c. As an Idaho resident, I’m curious to see if these units have traditionally held big bucks and if early archery Idaho tactics would work in New Mexico. We are headed for a scouting trip and will focus on higher elevation with limited access areas. We enjoy backpacking away from roads. Looking forward to summer scouting and heavy packs in September.

Moehunt

FNG
I’m pretty familiar with all three units working for the Forest Service on 51B and 6A and elk hunting 6C. 51b is pinion/Juniper with interspersed sagebrush flats surrounded on three sides by deep canyons. It’s very roaded on flats. It does have big buck potential but not high numbers. The east side of 6a and 6c has had some big fires that is likely now producing good habitat and decent glassing opportunities. The rest of 6c is pretty thick in general and hard to glass. The wilderness area way up top has some high mountain meadow systems and remoteness that likely hold some high elevation summer bucks. Any way you cut it you’ll have elk hunters as well as deer hunters working the same country but. Less so on 51b. I’d spend a good week out here scouting and figuring what kind of country will fit your style. I’ll pm you with my contact info if you want more details