Thread to learn more about mule deer diet

I am a young, mule deer fanatic looking to learn as much as possible about the mule deer diet.

I am starting this thread to provide a place where some of the more knowledgeable folks can share some information about what they have learned about mule deer diet throughout the years

For those who would like to help out, here is what to do.

Post a picture of a plant you have seen Mule Deer key in on. Post the name or nickname of the plant, if you know it. Post the time of year you noticed deer keying in on it. Post the area you saw this behavior (no need to be specific on area, maybe just state and type of terrain ex."Idaho Desert" or "Colorado High Country" etc.)

Easy as that! I look forward to learning a ton, it will be crunch-time before we know it.

RoJo

WKR
In desert areas of Arizona where the fishhook barrel cactus is common, the fruits are a staple in the diet of desert mule deer in the fall. The stomach contents of my last mule deer buck (last November) was almost entirely composed of fishhook barrel cactus fruits.

41064171885_24d0f8ccf6.jpg

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
(I'm no expert but here's what I know) High Sierra Nevada mountains where I hunt I look for willows shrubs. They usually grow down the slopes along a spring or damp ground. Deer browse in them and use them for cover when they bed. I've seen more deer in willow areas than anywhere else.

Hey man, let's talk. Send me a PM and we can share info if you're interested. I'm from Boise, in my 20's, and hunt 39 for deer, as well as other areas in Central Idaho.

As far as mule deer diet, I find them in Idaho feeding on sagebrush and bitterbrush mostly during the fall. They're sometimes solely hanging out in the trees, or elk looking country, and have dark racks but they struggle to get feed there and seem far less populated. Normally, bigger bucks like to have some escape cover close though and aren't just hanging out and bedding in the wide open.

Have you read Robby Dennings book? It should help a lot with this type of feed/bedding research.

3forks

WKR
Depends on the season, but like others have said, cliffrose and younger/smaller sagebrush.

530Chukar

WKR
a238f59050fdb22ed4b8a8c57397d47c.jpg

I’m told this is a Shasta Lupine. It has purple lavender like Flowers in the summer. The deer love it in the Northern Sierras com October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foldem

WKR
High Country Fuel

They love wildflowers where I'm at! These guys were mowing down the yellow ones.

Attachments

• deer3.jpg
    deer3.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 68
  • deer1.jpg
    deer1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 74