Henry Mountain management tag

lif

WKR
My buddy drew a Henry’s management archery tag. He’s pretty pumped and I’m thinking of going with him just to give myself the chance to experience the unit. Anyone have experience with this tag or other Henry’s tags? Any insight? We are planning on going self guided for now.

My buddy drew a Henry’s management archery tag. He’s pretty pumped and I’m thinking of going with him just to give myself the chance to experience the unit. Anyone have experience with this tag or other Henry’s tags? Any insight? We are planning on going self guided for now.

Just curious but what does management buck exactly mean when hunting a unit like the Henry’s? I’ve seen that tag to apply for but never looked more into it than just a glance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you are asking of it is worth your time to go with him?
Only of you like seeing lots of big mule deer.
Will be a cool hunt with lots of "what if we had the trophy tag" moments

OP
L

lif

WKR
Sounds like I’ll be there. Just any dos or don’t so we can be efficient there. Not necessarily help in where to go but just done dos and don’ts from hunters who have been there. Thanks.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would say it would be good advice not to interfere with anyone's hunt who has the LE trophy tag lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MtnMuley

WKR
I've applied for that tag a couple times myself. Can O ask how many points it took this year?

OP
L

lif

WKR
He had 9 I think. But I think it’s random.

Joelweb

FNG
Bring good glass and go a few days before the opener to try and find a buck he wants to shoot before the season starts. Lots of crab claw bucks so be careful. That place is amazing.

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
Henry's in my opinion is a position and glass game. Bring a spotter or some 15s and spend a lot of time dissecting country. Especially when you are looking for a management buck. Don't shoot the first 2.5 yr old three point you see, you'll have many opportunities. There are some awesome bucks and mature bucks that would fall into the management buck category. Bring a phone skope and take lots of pictures.

My sister was offered a Henry’s management rifle tag last year. Someone must’ve turned their tag back in about a month before the hunt, and she was the alternate. With 8 points I thought she would be crazy to turn it down, so with short notice and no experience of the unit, she accepted the tag.
It was an unbelievable hunt! Unable to make a scouting trip to the unit, we did as much virtual scouting, talked to as many people as we could find with previous experience over the phone, met up with some people to look at maps, called biologists etc. etc.
Many people, friends and family, wanted to come along to help but with such short notice and the hunt starting on a Monday and ending that Friday, it was just myself, my brother, and my sister.
We gave ourselves the two days before to look at the area and of course, see some bucks! We got to look at many good deer, including some management bucks. We ended up finding a buck the morning before opening day, 40 miles from where we were camped, we spent half the day taking video of him and discussing whether or not he would be legal to take. My sister was confident that he was, so we put him to bed that night and started our 40 mile ranger ride back to camp.
Opening morning brought some frustrating events and challenges with transportation that I’ll skip the details on for this thread. We arrived back in the area late morning, it took awhile to turn him up again but before 10 a.m. she had punched her tag.
We were very fortunate to stumble upon this buck, however we got to see 3 of the other deer killed that morning and they were great bucks as well. Talking with the fish and game officers that afternoon, they had already checked in 8 deer of the ten tags.
4d9fbaaad3a842b4f604fb88b94396c4.jpg

6c0024336bc2e8dd8629cdcec3f5ea9e.jpg

9064c88d1f36cde5518753fa93c38aa2.jpg

OP
L

lif

WKR
That’s some good fuel for my buddies engine. Great buck!!!

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider
My son drew this tag. We were looking at 4 bucks through a wind river spotter. All of them were legal through that scope. Upon further review through a Swarovski, only one was. Those crab claws can be hard to see. Make damn sure before you shoot.

I drew this tag last year as a nonresident. Had a great hunt, but came home empty handed. Saw tons of deer. Was tough to find big management deer without cheaters. Lots of 3 point frames with cheaters that are illegal. 180 inch 4x4s everywhere. We had several opportunities and got on a 190 inch 5x3 but couldn’t close the deal. I ended up passing up several younger 3x3s because it was not what I was after. I viewed this tag as a trophy tag. I hired a very popular outfitter for a scouting package which ended up being a waste of $1000. I can give you a lot of info and help. Send me your buddy’s contact info.