1st Timer: What are some typical mistakes people make?

Take every opportunity that you have when you're in the field to watch deer to see what they do - how they move across the terrain, how they can hide in the wide open.
Don't be afraid of great distances. They're generally not as far as you think. A mile is nothing out west.
I don't have spot and stalk opportunities where I hunt deer, but have had close encounters still hunting the forest every season.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
my biggest mistake starting out was not letting my optics do the work. Sit your butt down and glass. I also used to start my stock in the morning after they first bedded, now I give it time and try to wait for a second bed. preseason scouting for archery season is everything for me but im looking for trophy quality deer. Finally giving in and putting the binos on a tripod was also a game changer for me.

Remember that you don't have to have a "morning hunt" and an "afternoon hunt". I'm amazed at how many folks head back to camp for lunch to go back out and hunt in the evenings. Bring your lunch. I've killed more bucks between 11 am and 2 pm than any of the crew I hunt with, just because I'm out there when they decide to make a mistake. Stay in the field!

Don't give up if you blow a buck out of a clump of trees. Mulies will often times stop to look back (if you have the wind right) giving you another shot.

Oregon

WKR
What gunner above said. Pack a lunch, relax, and be in an area to look over lots of country during mid day.

A big mistake I’ve capitalized on a few times and more than likely screwed myself on is staying put til last legal shoot light.
Sometimes I just can’t get myself to park my butt in a great spot. I talk myself into “hunting my way back to camp”.
Plenty of times I resign to the fact I’m walking out an hour and half in the dark, getting to camp late, eating cold food. After the fact, I rarely regret.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Read Robby's book several times and pay attn like you're studying for an exam. I'd also suggest Dwight Schuh's book... "Hunting Open Country Mule Deer"

tttoadman

WKR
Watch the does. They will give away the big buck hiding because they keep looking in his direction. As said before, don’t discount the the 1:00 o’clock stretch. As the sun moves, they will be looking for a new shady spot.

Robby put together a lot of really good information about Mule deer hunting I would highly recommend reading the book, watching his vids, and reading his blog posts. I owe a lot of what I have learned to Robby.

I'll say! I owe a lot to Robby too! Yup he's the "LEGEND"!

Sticking it out and giving it time, having a positive mindset and proving or disproving the bucks are there. Things tend look bucky for a reason, trust your instincts.

Know the potential of the area you are hunting. I guided up there for a few years, and there are some nice bucks, but predominantly not giants like some other places. 150+ is possible and I'd be seriously considering droppin' the hammer on any buck over 150. If I hadn't ever killed a mule deer before pretty much any decent 4x would be in trouble. If you are bowhunting it would be a good idea to stalk a few bucks even if you don't plan on loosing an arrow. There is a learning curve on that, practice stalking! The country up there is good for spot and stalk, so it is very do-able! One of the years when I was guiding our longest kill shot was a client I took that shot a great buck at 11.5 yards, (with a recurve!) though I did have a guy wound one at 23 yards. That being said if your bowhunting you should be able to shoot 50-60 yards proficiently. I wouldn't be afraid to ask permission on private land either, especially if you are bowhunting. Good luck!

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good advice as always.. anytime you see a buck before he see's you, you just stacked the odds. When approaching the top of a ridge, or rise in the open country, always get low, and next to something to help break up your silhouette, a sky lined hunter stands out like a sore thumb. Don't set down to glass out in the open, on top of a rise, drop down a little, get in the shadows. If you get caught by a deer looking at you, freeze, and wait him out, don't try and move the first time he puts his head down, I can't count how many times I've had them snap their heads back up seconds later, catching you in mid stride. Take care of your feet, have well broke in boots. Just a couple of a hundred things to consider, Good luck, have fun, build memories.
Mike

the_bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Patience was the biggest key for me. Waited 6 hours for an opportunity on 2 big deer my first day. Best decision was to back out. Found the deer the next day at 13,000 feet and put an arrow through his heart at 12:42pm. Patience, quality glassing time and perseverance is what I would tell people to focus on.
8d95ec49c1b51be7e71df377ebe8a6ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
I've gotten so discouraged I've packed up and backpacked out the same day I packed in. Not my finest moment and before I even got to the truck I was wishing I had stayed back in there. So now I focus on patience and sticking it out, and not jump from trailhead to trailhead. I don't sleep well and usually can't nap during the day. So I'll bring a book. Sounds silly but it's made me a more successful hunter.

- Not paying attention to what way the sun is coming up in relation to your glassing location. (This is a big one...)
-Not paying attention to what way the wind is blowing (This is a big one)
-Being afraid to make power moves when the situation clearly calls for it
-Not being in shape
-Not knowing their personal limitations
-Feeling pressure to kill something.
-Staying in an area with other/many hunters in it (Move...its not worth the hassle and headaches....)
-Going back to camp for lunch
-Packing in too much gear
-Not packing in enough initial supply water
-Carrying extra of something you probably wont need
-wearing clothing that is noisy
-Taking off your boots for a stalk. (This is super stupid...I see guys do it all the time..and its a great way to injure your foot and ruin/end your hunt. buy you some safari sneakers..trust me on this one)
-Spending 2000 on a gun to shoot 1000 yards and not knowing how to use it
-spending 2000 on a gun and 100 on your binoculars
-Not bringing the proper food.
-shooting 700 yards a deer because its the last day
-not carring extra batteries
-not carring hard copies of maps
-not carring a compass
-not bringing first aid kit
-not bringing
-not being out there from first light to last light

Last edited:

rsess32

FNG
I'd say the biggest mistake at least with the spot and stalk method is moving too fast. try to get to a good vantage point, maybe a higher hill or something where you can see off a good distance and then glass. Let your eyes do most of the ground covering.