Nebraska OTC Muleys

Zebra312

FNG
I am in the beginning stages of planning a mule deer hunt, and Nebraska looks like it might be a solid choice. What I am confused about is the difference in tags. I see where there is a Deer Tag at about $240 bucks, then a Mule and Whitetail Deer Buck Tag at about $600.

What exactly do I need if I want to drive to Nebraska and hunt a mule deer buck on public land?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I am in the beginning stages of planning a mule deer hunt, and Nebraska looks like it might be a solid choice. What I am confused about is the difference in tags. I see where there is a Deer Tag at about $240 bucks, then a Mule and Whitetail Deer Buck Tag at about $600.

What exactly do I need if I want to drive to Nebraska and hunt a mule deer buck on public land?

Gosh, wish I could help you. If no one replies, just go the old-fashioned route—pick up the phone and call the game and fish department and start asking questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the cheaper tags are unit/area specific and the expensive tags are statewide. I would contact the game and fish to clarify. I've only ever bowhunted NE so not sure of all the different permit options.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

$600 tag is statewide, $240 is unit specific. Unless you know exactly where you're going to go, I'd suggest the statewide tag. It's more expensive but you've got a lot more options to shoot for.

vanish

WKR
Mule deer only exist in specific areas of the state in quantity. It shouldn't be hard to nail down the area. The best area is the MDCA but its harder to get a mule deer tag there.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for chiming in everybody with the help. Interesting concept with the duel level pricing. Kind of what Wyoming did with their special and the regular tags.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
With that statewide tag, just be sure it is an either species. There is a statewide tag that is whitetail specific and you wouldn't want to do that!

zebra - you didn't say if you are planning to rifle or bowhunt. With archery in Nebraska, the tags are OTC and are good for either WT or MD and either sex. I believe you can get 2 tags, but only one can be a buck. Check out the regs on the MDCA (Mule Deer Conservation Area) and closures around some of the reservoirs. The rifle season is Nov 10th-18th and, while you can bowhunt during that time, you need to wear blaze orange and you are taking your life into your own hands. The MD are in the SW and NW parts of the state. Limited public land, so if you go download the Interactive Map from the Nebraska game and fish site - it shows all public access, walk-in, CRP, etc. Good luck.

guf54

FNG
I just looked at the permits and pricing and the non res $600 tag is for state wide WHITETAIL only. To include both species it jumps up to about $700 but no mule deer in the mule deer conservation area...$800 dollars for both species including the conservation area.

If it were me I would narrow down an area and get the unit tag. It is much cheaper and really with the limited public land in Nebraska you should be able to narrow down an area to hunt. Plus learning one area good is sometimes better than jumping all over the place hoping to get lucky.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just looked at the permits and pricing and the non res $600 tag is for state wide WHITETAIL only. To include both species it jumps up to about $700 but no mule deer in the mule deer conservation area...$800 dollars for both species including the conservation area.

If it were me I would narrow down an area and get the unit tag. It is much cheaper and really with the limited public land in Nebraska you should be able to narrow down an area to hunt. Plus learning one area good is sometimes better than jumping all over the place hoping to get lucky.

Or, if you don't go statewide it's about 241 I believe plus the 20 habitat stamp for a specific unit for rifle. Archery and Muzzleloader tags are state wide/either sex not including certain conservation areas for mule deer and are the same price as the rifle tag plus the habitat stamp.

Great thread... looking at heading to Nebraska with the MD WD tag. Looks like archery and muzzle loader are much more affordable if you’re on a budget.

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
Perfect timing for this thread. I'm from Michigan and me and by in-laws are wanting to do a Mule Deer hunt in the next couple of years. Nebraska or Dakotas look ideal from a terrain standpoint, as a bunch of us flatlanders don't want to get thrashed chasing game up and down a mountain.

We'd like to do a DIY hunt on public land during firearms season if possible. Looks like their season is only Nov. 16-24th.

How difficult is it to get a firearms tag? And how is the weather in Nebraska that time of year?

rwchunter

FNG
I hunted the Pine Ridge area a couple times. I saw more WT than MD on both hunts. You’ll Be hunting them in the rut that time of year. I’m pretty sure when we went the tags were good for either WT or MD. Some public in the lower country, but most is private. More public if you get up in the hills out of the ag land.

I did some searching but the NE website is about as bad as WY. What restrictions does NE place muzzle loader? Optics, loose vs pellet, sabot etc. I can't find it anywhere.