Archery CO Units 35, 36, 45, and 361

jheebink

FNG
I drew an archery mule deer tag for units 35, 36, 45, and 361. I am from WI and this is my first time hunting out west. I am wondering if anyone had archery hunted these units before and have any tips on how to get away from people and find deer, or if anyone has any general tips for a first time western hunter. Any tips will help greatly and be much appreciated!

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I've never killed a muley in Colorado with archery gear but I've missed a couple nice bucks over the last 3 seasons. Fitness was my biggest weakness in both cases and it's the reason why I'm focusing on that more than anything else... more than shooting, more than worrying about glass or gear, and more than pressure from other hunters. It's the most important aspect to focus on for a "flatlander", imo.

Did I mention fitness is important?

Jimss

WKR
Muley bucks will likely be scattered across those units during archery season. Once bucks shed their velvet they will likely head into the trees and are a lot tougher to find. It can be pretty warm or even hot so bucks may not be out much during the daytime. Same thing may happen during the full moon. Those units are OTC for elk so anywhere there is a trail, 4 wheeler track, or road will likely have quite a few hunters. Areas that aren't typical elk country may not be hit quit as hard. There will likely be more hunters as the elk rut kicks in during mid to late Sept. Some high alpine areas in a couple of those units may have bucks but you may need to cover lots of country to find the few pocket of bucks that exist. It may take time to figure out backpack gear and areas that hold deer from summer through the archery season. If you plan on backpack hunting your learning curve will improve dramatically if you come out in the summer and prior to the season....and test out your gear/scout. THe more time and boot leather you put into a hunt the better chance for success. Just remember that it isn't easy and may take several trips or years to figure things out.

OP
J

jheebink

FNG
Thanks guys for all the help! I've been looking on google earth for some spots, do any of yall know what to look for? I know the basics of high country fairly open green areas with cover, but anything else? I see some areas that look really flat, others that look steep, and others that look too small. I do not know which is best.

Jimss

WKR
Try to figure out where bucks would hide to get away from hunting pressure. I usually put myself in the place of the game I'm hunting to figure out when, where, and how to hunt them. What would they be concentrating on eating that time of year? What is the weather like...would a buck rather be on a south, north, east, or west facing slopes to bed, eat, drink the time of year you'll be hunting? Most smart ole bucks keep wind direction in their favor for bedding, feeding, etc. Some bucks may not move more than a few hundred yards each day. Once you spend time scouting you can start writing some of this down on topo maps. Once you figure it out you can eliminate a lot of country without bucks and concentrate glassing areas where they tend to spend time. The more time you spend up there doing this the better you'll get at figuring these things out and the more country you'll learn where bucks tend to spend time at certain times of year.

make sure you have good binocs, and in decent physical condition. It is always funny when people from east of the rockies get in the mountains for the first time.. the stair master is your friend for the next 3 months...get on it...a lot.
look for places where you can get your glass on north facing slopes. It may be hot so think about access to water. often your hunting will consist of watching deer go from water to bed and then you move on them.
are you packing in a distance or are you hunting from a base/car camp? Either way plan on putting some distance between you and your truck.
sit and glass sit and glass sit and glass....then sit and glass some more. wandering around aimlessly in the woods is pointless....trust me I Know.

watch though, We say all this and then three months from now you will post a giant buck you killed 50 yards from your truck and you never broke a sweat.... it happens more than we like to admit. Have fun, I will be just north of you doing the same...

Outwest

WKR
I don't have experience with those units but I will echo what others have said. Physical fitness is probably the one "piece of gear" that will make your hunt more enjoyable.

Also, as huntindog has said, glass glass glass. I cant remember where I heard it about sheep hunting, but it is true with deer as well; You will kill more bucks with your a$$ than with your boots. Find good glassing points and take it all in. The deer will turn up.

It is true that the bucks will be moving into the timber as soon as arrows start flying and the velvet starts coming off. Be patient and wait for an opportunity rather than a chance.

If you can swing a scouting trip, that is really the best option. I usually try to get in at least 1 scouting trip if not 2 every summer.

Have fun! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Ive drawn the unit 36 Eagle's Nest Wilderness early rifle hunt a few years back. About 4 non residents and 16 residents at the time hunting only in unit 36 within the Eagles's Nest Wilderness area. 10 Sept opening when I had the permit. Lots of great bucks high up in the rugged alpine basins of the Gore Range. Lots of hikers in there as well, along with some muzzleloader hunters, archery elk and a few archery deer hunters as well. I got in there on 8 Sept and by the opener 50 percent of the big bucks were starting to shed velvet. I killed my buck in a high alpine basin at 12,750 feet.

I camped on the boarder of unit 361 at 11,000 ft and there was plenty of good looking country that the rifle hunters were not able to hunt in unit 361. An archery hunter could take advantage of that as well. You can access these areas just west of Vail Pass on I-70. Park your vehicle on a pull off of the intersate and start hiking up into that country. Some of the prettiest high alpine mule deer hunting Ive ever done.

Good luck. PM me if you have other more detailed questions. I know I had the rifle tag but lots of my info could be used for your archery hunt as well.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Two books I'll suggest as must-reads.

Dwight Schuh - "Hunting Open Country Mule Deer: A Guide for Taking Western Bucks with Rifle or Bow"
- This book was written in the late 80s. It's Archery-centric, despite the title. It may be "dated" but you will learn a metric shit ton if you read
it and study it. I've read this book 5 or 6 times and I take something new from it or reinforce concepts that I had forgotten every time I read
it.

Robby's Book - "Hunting Big Mule Deer: How to Take the Best Buck of Your Life"
- Modern... Heavier to the rifle/muzzy side, but very detailed behavioral info that has been super helpful to me.

I also like Mike Eastman's book from the mid 90s. - "Hunting High Country Mule Deer"

Read them multiple times. Read them like you're studying for an exam.