Arizona in September...

Hey guys/gals,

I'm fairly new to the site and I'm trying to plan a trip to Arizona this year in September. I know most people prefer to hunt January but I have a kid on the way thats due in December. I've tried searching the threads and I've found a lot of intel on January hunts but not a lot about the early (August/September) season. After lots of research I've I'm thinking about hunting unit 20A. Has anyone hunted this area? I'm definitely open to other units as well. Ive considered 9, 1, and 27.
Any help would be awesome!

Thanks,
Josh

Muleys32

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys/gals,

I'm fairly new to the site and I'm trying to plan a trip to Arizona this year in September. I know most people prefer to hunt January but I have a kid on the way thats due in December. I've tried searching the threads and I've found a lot of intel on January hunts but not a lot about the early (August/September) season. After lots of research I've I'm thinking about hunting unit 20A. Has anyone hunted this area? I'm definitely open to other units as well. Ive considered 9, 1, and 27.
Any help would be awesome!

Thanks,
Josh

Hunted in AZ in January, but I have heard be prepared for heat and bugs in the fall!

OP
TheDeerGuy
August is my favorite time of the year in Arizona... Ed F

Thanks guys! I’m looking forward to it. I’ve decided on unit 23 because I have a buddy that lives out there. I’m planning on heading towards the Young/Payson area. Any ever been out that way. Any tips?

dtrkyman

WKR
I will be headed back in Aug. most likely, hunted Jan. and was on a couple dandy bucks, dead calm conditions and the two bucks being with a bunch of does made it impossible to get close enough.

Will hunt the same area, but I assume the deer will not be in the same location, I am sure water will be at a premium, though it sure was dry in Jan. and I never did find where those deer were watering?

Rich1201

FNG
I will be headed to AZ the first week of September for the first time in unit 27. Good luck out there!

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! I’m looking forward to it. I’ve decided on unit 23 because I have a buddy that lives out there. I’m planning on heading towards the Young/Payson area. Any ever been out that way. Any tips?

Hunted elk out of Young last November. Really enjoyed the place, Antlers is a great restaurant and Pleasant Valley Inn is the place to stay if you need a hotel (call ahead of your trip, Marla's rooms can fill up early). It's pretty remote and will take a while to get to despite its proximity to Phoenix. There is one gas pump and a convenience store. Saw a few Coues and mule deer but not a lot. Very rugged country, especially where the bulls were hanging out.