KUIU vs Exo ?

If you read other forums, you get vastly different opinions on the (current) KUIU packs than you do on here. Same thing with Leupold scopes for some reason. Here they are well regarded, on other forums they’re viewed as worse than a $30 Tasco. Not sure why this is.

I don’t debate the fact that one of the “top tier” packs will handle 120# better than a KUIU pack will. However, I don’t and can’t carry that much in rough terrain, ever. I also end up wearing my pack hunting FAR more than I do hauling meat. I’ll take the lighter and more comfortable pack over the course of the 7 day trip than the 4 hour pack out. That might be different for you.

I do think KUIU should come out with a wider/stiffer/more padded hip belt for heavy loads, as they just did with their new apex shoulder pads. Hopefully it’s in the works.

I’ll take the lighter and more comfortable pack over the course of the 7 day trip than the 4 hour pack out. That might be different for you.

I would too, but I have found Kifaru and Exo to be more comfortable than the Kuiu packs regardless of weight. That’s just my experience, though.

jparker

FNG
In all truth, you need to consider what you really want from the pack. Kuiu packs arent designed to be bomb proof. they are designed to be lightweight for the lightweight hunter. I have a 2015 kuiu IP 1850, 3200, and a 6000. I've had 75lbs on my kuiu recently hauling mineral 4 miles into the back country, and i can honestly say that it handled it without any issues. it was actually easy to handle while log hopping dead fall.

That being said, its still not in the same category as kifaru, exo, or stone glacier and isn't meant to be. If all you've ever owned is badlands and eberlestock (which was my case), the the Kuiu will put all of them to shame. i tried packing 40lbs with my eberlestock J1 2 miles and i wanted to die.

If your wallet allows, i advise going with the one of the big 3 pack manufacturers, but if you're on a budget, don't discount Kuiu. If you take care of your gear it'll last you, be functional, and handle almost any weight you are realistically going to haul.

As for the noise issue with Kuiu packs, i found with my pack that about 95% of that problem is solved by properly loading and tightening the compression straps. I was able to walk up within 30 yards of 9 bulls last weekend with 75lbs in my pack and it was completely silent.

I've tried on and handled a kifaru, and they are amazing packs, but the price point wasn't worth it for me. Then again, i got my 3 packs, frame, load shelf, kifaru gun bearer, large kuiu dry bag, and a two kuiu hip belt pouches barely used for $500 off rokslide classifieds. That was a price i couldn't pass up. Now i've got everything i'll ever need for any hunt i ever go on.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I own the exo 3500 and a good friend that is going elk hunting with me this year bought the new kuiu Icon Pro 5200. They are both comfortable with 30# in them during set up. I honestly like the layout of the kuiu bag better, mainly the horseshoe zipper for day pack use. I have been working out with my exo with 75# in it and can honestly say the worse part is picking it up to put it on. Once it is on your back the weight disappears to a point. I haven't used the kuiu with that much weight yet but like previously stated, $ is always a factor for us poor slumbs that have to work for a living so if I didn't find mine used, I would have went with a kuiu myself and been perfectly content. Good luck with your choice.

JNDEER

WKR
Go to the store and try the packs out. They have weighted bags (or bring your own) and put whatever amount you want in it. Have them show you where it would be best to load the weight, strap it on and go for a walk. Your body will tell you if you like the pack or not. For some the Kuiu packs work and feel great for the weights people can carry, for others not so much. For example. Me- I am "big boned" and have large hips (size 37/38) so there large belt does not fit me well at all (if they fixed that I would use their pack). I get major hot spots when the pack has 50+lb in it. For my brother who is shorter and doesn't have big hips (size 34) his icon pro fits fine, no hot spots ever and he can lug around whatever wait he needs to. The EXO I have used since 2015 can be adjusted and fits me well enough to do what I want. Is it perfect-nope, but everyone has there list of needs in an order and it fits my top needs best (so far).

If you could NEVER try on or see either packs than from my experience I would say go with the EXO. However, if you live around Dixon then go to the store and actually test one out.

mvrk28

WKR
I think the Kuiu hate on here comes from the Kifaru nut riding given this place was started by Aron Snyder. Just a hunch. I just picked up an Icon Pro 5200, looks like a great pack. Can't wait to get out with it.

ORHunter

WKR
I personally think that the Kuiu packs get some undeserved hate around here. I have an Ultra 6000 that has been awesome. I've had it loaded on several occasions with 80-120lbs (not an internet forum 100lbs but an actual luggage scale weighed 100lbs haha)with no problems. The bag itself isnt the most durable if being abused because its built to be ultra light weight.

I also own an Exo 3500 which seems to be a great pack as well. Admittedly I bought this because of the hype. I kept hearing how superior they are compared to Kuiu etc. Mine is fairly new so the jury's still out.

I also own an Eberlestock J107 which is bomb proof and has an awesome gun scabbard.....but it sucks when packing a heavy load.

The good news is there are lots of options.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
I think kuiu makes the best clothing for hunters in the world, that doesn't mean that their packs are awesome though.

I hear ya on the Kifaru Kool-Aid though. I prefer SG and Exo personally.
I think the Kuiu hate on here comes from the Kifaru nut riding given this place was started by Aron Snyder. Just a hunch. I just picked up an Icon Pro 5200, looks like a great pack. Can't wait to get out with it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a kuiu icon 7200. Not the pro version. I would echo the ability to organize and carry average loads. I borrowed a 2017 EXO 3500 the other day and that thing was amazing. Had 80# in it and it felt like 50. I have been working out more though so that might add to it, but 10 mi later I had no hot spots or complaints. I’ll be getting one as soon as the fusion camo comes back in stock. Likely this fall/winter for next year.

I have both, kuiu shoulder strap broke on me in the mountains with maybe 50#. Actually, i have a kuiu for sale, keeping the exo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwiftShot

WKR
Packed out my cow in Archery Season no problem. Pretty big Roosevelt cow. 3 trips total on a KUIU 2300. It was fine on the pack and the frame held up great. That being said. Go to the store and try it out.20211201_103853.jpg

jdmaxwell

WKR
Had both. Sold Kuiu. IMO no comparison.
EXO is way better for super heavy pack outs my experiences

One specializes in making packs and the other sells clothing and dabbles in packs

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
One specializes in making packs and the other sells clothing and dabbles in packs

This philosophy is what made me decide on Exo after trying to buy my first new pack that wasn’t military surplus. Also they have a dozen or more videos on how to properly adjust tans use the pack properly. Also after hearing Steve on the their podcast talk about why they do not branch out into other categories (bino harnesses,etc) was because he felt there was no need, they appear to be all about trying to make the best pack, not about the $$$ or branding. But at the end of the day gotta use what feels right in the field.

Mikenep

FNG
I’ve tried both and like my exo. Rides better and no fatigue over 18 miles compared to a shorter hike with the kuiu.