Drew my first mulie tag! Wyoming Region G!

Finally after many years I drew my first tag on a western hunt. Super excited!! I've been gearing up since last year so I don't have much to buy at this point, just ramp up my training in preparation for the brutal hills! Any tips on hunting Region G? I have a couple areas I have been looking at on maps but being an Eastern whitetail hunter it's a bit different lol! I know there is a good amount of doom & gloom out there about the region but we wanted a true high country hunt and it seemed to fit with the amount of points we had. Anyways, guess i'm just sharing my excitement and looking for any tips that might help me. I won't ask about areas because I know how well that normally goes around here :p

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you’re excited, you’ll love that hunt as long as you don’t have to have a giant buck to be happy. It’s beautiful up there, still lots of bucks, and tons of country. My advice would be to have more days than you think you need, maybe even split your hike in into two days, and pace yourself. I used to scout for a lot of guys up there and if they were from east of the Mississippi, it didn’t matter how great of a hunter they were, some of them couldn’t even get to the deer country. And I’m not talking cheeseburger eaten Bubba here, it’s just the altitude and the steepness of that country take some time to get used to. Go tear it up and have a great time, keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackdawg

WKR
I drew G also, boots on ground and time will be your friend.

blackdawg

WKR
Yep,,, trying to beg, borrow and steal a mule all day myself,,, anybody want to go on an all expense backpacking trip,,,,lol....spent a week in g,, chasing elk once,,darn near killed me

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
How many points did you all spend? Special or general

Robby-
Buddy of mine drew the tag. General group applications...8, 6, & 6 for the three of them. Seems like got a little lucky my perception is off.

blackdawg

WKR
Excuse me,,, I was must have been drunk when I applied,, bought a special and it’s a region H .. This might turn into the most expensive deer tag soup I have tasted.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Excuse me,,, I was must have been drunk when I applied,, bought a special and it’s a region H .. This might turn into the most expensive deer tag soup I have tasted.

So you guys win in with an average of about seven points for H? That should do it with points to spare

OP
flinginairos
Thanks for the tips Robby! When you speak, I listen! We definitely plan to pace ourselves and do our best to not kill ourselves getting in lol. The three of us are experienced whitetail hunters from the hills of WV but I know the hills we have here don’t compare!We applied as a group, two of us 8 points and the other 7. Looks like it wouldn’t have taken that many but it is what it is lol

Jd259

WKR
Region h

So you guys win in with an average of about seven points for H? That should do it with points to spare

Haha yeah plenty of points to spare I drew h with two in the special!

OP
flinginairos

Did you mean to apply for G but did H instead? Man that’s rough lol.

blackdawg

WKR
I blame it on Colorado dnr’s new system with no backdoor,,,lol,,,wasn't planning on using points for Wyoming tag this year, I had been waiting to get Colorado results before applying to Wyoming for a while. Waited it out just in case the computer geeks were wrong,,my pardner says no worries if I can dodge the griz and get up to where they live he will drag a good one up from g and tie it to a rock for me.

Last edited:
That's rough you got H instead of G
H is all wilderness, griz and wolves. I don't know why any non-res would even apply.
Please help me spread the message.

Not true, H has plenty of places to hunt outside of the wilderness. If you hunt hard you will have a great hunt. Just stay away from the main trailheads as they will be packed. Google earth should be your friend until September roles around. Good luck....

4ester

WKR
Not true, H has plenty of places to hunt outside of the wilderness. If you hunt hard you will have a great hunt. Just stay away from the main trailheads as they will be packed. Google earth should be your friend until September roles around. Good luck....

Gotta watch the sarcasm....lol.

fly1tie6

FNG
Finally some WV boys. Where you all located? I have been trying to locate some folks local to me. I live in Ohio now but only 10 minutes from Parkersburg. Yes the hills out West are WAY different then ours. Good luck guys!

It's been a long time since I've been in G, but I have a little boots on the ground knowledge if you want to PM me.

OP
flinginairos
Finally some WV boys. Where you all located? I have been trying to locate some folks local to me. I live in Ohio now but only 10 minutes from Parkersburg. Yes the hills out West are WAY different then ours. Good luck guys!

We are in north central near Morgantown. Where I hunt in Ohio is only 30 minutes from Parkersburg right outside Tuppers Plains. Some nice deer in that area!!

OP
flinginairos
It's been a long time since I've been in G, but I have a little boots on the ground knowledge if you want to PM me.

Tapatalk won’t let me PM you for some reason. Shoot me a message if you don’t mind. Would love to pick your brain!