Which Idaho Unit?

jimmy33

WKR
I’m really having a tough time deciding what to do...how good is unit 54 really? Early archery...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Unit 54 can be great. I was born and raised down there, learned to spot and stalk mulies. Unfortunately, it's an unlimited controlled hunt now for archery. So if you didn't already apply, you're not hunting it this year. I love that area. It's got every kind of terrain you could hope for, from low wide-open desert and rimrock, to high pines and dense quakies. Plenty of deer, lots of decent bucks, and a few big boys. It gets a lot of pressure, being so close to Twin Falls, and a ridiculous rifle draw with 500 buck tags. But, it can still be super productive if you know where to look.

OP
jimmy33

jimmy33

WKR
I did put in for it...I just want to make sure it’s worth venturing from the other area I hunt. It’s just a tough decision because it’s new and quite a drive, and also more people than where I usually hunt. Just looking for opinions on the area. It doesn’t sound like it got too hammered with the winter kill...

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
It didn't get hit as hard last year as the areas just north of there. If you can swing it, I would absolutely scout it first. The deer you find from early July on will still be right there on the opener. I hunted a ton of deer I first spotted in July. That being said, I would have a hard time breaking away from an area I already know and have had success. Good Luck!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I did put in for it...I just want to make sure it’s worth venturing from the other area I hunt. It’s just a tough decision because it’s new and quite a drive, and also more people than where I usually hunt. Just looking for opinions on the area. It doesn’t sound like it got too hammered with the winter kill...

So, are you going to buy a second tag? Once you draw the controlled unit you're stuck in that unit unless you pick up a second tag. At least that's the way they explained it to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You can exchange the tag before the general season opens. You can also not ever buy one. However, the waiting period applies once drawn.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I knew there was probably something I overlooked. Forgot that you have the option of not purchasing the tag.

OP
jimmy33

jimmy33

WKR
So, are you going to buy a second tag? Once you draw the controlled unit you're stuck in that unit unless you pick up a second tag. At least that's the way they explained it to me.

I’m going to get a second tag because I love that late panhandle hunt. I think I’ve decided to hunt 54 early archery instead of panhandle early archery. Anyone ever bowhunt unit 31?