2 questions.

What is your method for cleaning the breach plug? It seems like I never get it really clean.

What is your load info and drop in inches from 100 to 200?

ENCORE

WKR
What is your method for cleaning the breach plug? It seems like I never get it really clean.

That's a loaded question.... LOL

I'd say it differs with different rifles and the type propellant used.

I shoot an Ultimate BP Xpress, one of only two .50cal rifles capable of extreme charges. The drop with my charge with a 100yd zero, is 6.6" at 200yds, or 3.1MOA.

Powder makes no difference to me... BH or T7... the breech plug is pulled, vent liner removed, Flash channel hand drilled out with a 5/32" drill bit, then it goes into a small tub with Hot!! water and a mixture of Zep Cleaner degreaser for a soak. After soaking it is pulled out and I clean the plug with a Q tip and small bristle brush in the flash channel. From there still working with hot water I use a wire tooth brush to clean the BP threads. Then rinse with hot water, blow the plug off with compressed air to dry. From there it is time to install the vent liner, wrap the plug with white tape and re-install in the rifle.

Lehigh_452-265_CF-_HP.jpg

Last edited:

muddydogs

WKR
I use a drill bit to clean out the flash channel, had turn the bit. To clean the small flash hole I use a welding tip cleaner. Some M-Pro 7 on a pipe cleaner removes the left over black crud in the flash channel.

I use a drill bit to clean out the flash channel, had turn the bit. To clean the small flash hole I use a welding tip cleaner. Some M-Pro 7 on a pipe cleaner removes the left over black crud in the flash channel.

It would be my suggestion to not to put anything in the flash hole - it erodes quick enough as it is.... I would also suggest no metal probing of any kind. When I do insert something I use a point tooth pick. And normally the flash hole is a non-factory - blowing compressed air through will often work very well.

muddydogs

WKR
It would be my suggestion to not to put anything in the flash hole - it erodes quick enough as it is.... I would also suggest no metal probing of any kind. When I do insert something I use a point tooth pick. And normally the flash hole is a non-factory - blowing compressed air through will often work very well.

Well as I have experimented with flash hole cleaning I have found that the only way to remove the heavy crud is to cut it out. I tried the brush, pipe cleaner and other tricks then once its dry inserted the drill bit and cut more crud out so I have found that to have a truly clean flash hole the heavy build up needs cut out then clean with a pipe cleaner. I am able to clean my rifle anywhere with little mess or need for water and compressed air, can't imagine having to deal with your cleaning method while in the trailer or a tent camp if the need should arise which it does on a 2 week hunt with multiple tags in my pocket. Flash hole is a Non - Factory? Ya right I've had them plugged up by Q-tip and pipe cleaner fibers.

My method of using a drill bit and cutting torch tip cleaner is common practice in the muzzy world. Find a drill bit that just fits the flash channel and turn it by hand, no metal is being removed. Same with the tip cleaner, find the one in the case that just fits the flash hole and don't work the sides of the hole.

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
If I were new to muzzleloaders, which I was 3 or 4 years ago, I would search sabotloader's old posts and take notes. he's well respected on this and muzzie forums and knows his stuff. I've been following his guidance for 3-4 years with outstanding results and zero issues.

OP
MuleyFever
Interesting on the bullet drop. I was out shooting and had one shot left. I am zeroed at 100yds shooting a 300gr sabot with 100gr by volume of BH209. I decided to take my last shot at 200yds and I was about 5" low. That appeared to me to be not much drop from 100 to 200yds.

ENCORE

WKR
Interesting on the bullet drop. I was out shooting and had one shot left. I am zeroed at 100yds shooting a 300gr sabot with 100gr by volume of BH209. I decided to take my last shot at 200yds and I was about 5" low. That appeared to me to be not much drop from 100 to 200yds.

I would suggest you shoot more than one round to determine your actual drop. IF... your volume measure is correct, 100grs by volume is going to give you a velocity of somewhere around 1850fps. Say for example, if you were shooting a 300gr SST at 1850fps, with a 100yd zero your drop would be approximately 11.5" at 200yds. I send the same 300gr SST from an Ultimate at 2280fps with 180grs of T7 and my drop is approximately 6.5".