Backpack muzzleloader hunting

What do you all bring on a backpack muzzy hunt for the actual muzzleloader? I plan on bringing 6-8 loads and 15-20 primers. If everything works as planned after 1 shot I would be done. But as we all know there is a possibility of a miss or 10, a missfire, or who knows so I am thinking I should bring a few patches, 1/8 bit, flash hole cleaner, and breach plug wrench that came with the gun. The breach plug wrench is heavy which is the reason I was thinking of leaving it in the truck.

The muzzy is a Cooper with 209 ignition, shooting BH209, and powerbelts.

Regards, Branden

rayporter

WKR
personally I would have enough in camp to disassemble it completely. my wrench is light wt so it is always in my possibles kit with me.

and clean. if you get rain you may clean more often-even if you don't shoot. tape the muzzle up well.

I take 3 extra loads with primers in the load holder. Then I have 3 or 4 primers in my pocket. That's 4 shots. I also carry some extra muzzle covers. That is all I carry. I leave my tools and stuff at the truck.

OP
dirtytough
I take 3 extra loads with primers in the load holder. Then I have 3 or 4 primers in my pocket. That's 4 shots. I also carry some extra muzzle covers. That is all I carry. I leave my tools and stuff at the truck.

That was basically my first thoughts. I usually try to have the lightest load possible when I backpack. But if I'm packed in 10 miles it will take me 7 hours to make that round trip to clean the gun. So I'm kind of torn.

This is basically my strategy and it's worked well. I also take a zip lock baggie with a bunch of wet cleaning patches.

muddydogs

WKR
I carry a few patches and the jag, small eye dropper bottle of oil and solvent plus a cable out of one of them cable cleaning kits in my pack at all times so I can some what clean any rifle or pistol I may have. Total cleaning kit weights 2.3 oz. Kit has been used to clean dirt out of friends muzzles before but I have never needed it to this point myself. My muzzy requires no tools to remove the breach plug and I don't figure I need a drill bit to clean out the flash channel as I know I can get at least 20 shots through mine with no issues. If I do happen to have a plug in the flash hole I'm sure I can whittle something down enough to stick in the hole.

As for shots that's up to you. I error on the side of more is better and would fill stupid if I ran out especially if I had a wounded animal. Most the time I carry 8 shots spread out between my pack waist belt and protected inside my pack bag plus I might throw in a few more pre measured powder charges just because. If nothing else the powder make a good fire starter. As for primers I probably carry 20 or so spread out between my pocket, pack belt and pack bag. Ya just never know when your going to go for a swim and things are going to get wet.

fishslap

WKR
I packed in last year to hunt elk with my lyman great plains rifle shooting patched round ball. I brought a similar number of loads & #11 caps. I brought a small cleaning kit of: Nylon bore brush, nipple pick, maybe a scraper and slotted jag for drum area (can't remember), dry patches, mink oil lubed patches, and patch puller. That would take care of most situations. I wanted a good cleaning kit in case I missed a shot, I would want to keep hunting with a barrel that's as clean as my practice reflects. I can't remember if I brought a nipple wrench but good idea. I used a series of small plastic bags to keep everything in order and split my loads and caps up with a set I carried and a set I left at camp for backup.

Cleaning patches.
20 Primers ( I change my primer twice a day- New one in the AM. New one at lunch) I never throw out the old ones either... I put them in another tube just in case.
10 Bullets
10 Charges
Primer pocket drill cleaner
Vent Cleaner- Tiny drill bit
Patch Jag
5 oz of rubbing alcohol.
I anti-seize my CVA breech plug and I dont need tools to remove it.
If I need to re-sight in the gun I go back to the truck. Nothing more annoying than someone on the mountain sighting in their gun. I fell victim to that a couple years ago.

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
Gotta have a waterproof possibles bag with goodies to rid barrel of load the won't go off ON YOU! Don't lose your ramrod. That would suck. At least an extra in truck.(only thing I wouldn't take with me up the hill. I have an extra in rig) Seen folks get pretty excited. Electrical tape on barrel. Extra Powder besides the ones for your loads already pre measured.

Just left 24years of hunting muzzy seasons west of I-5. Modern in-lines do excellent job of being reliable if you do your part. Double walled tent helps keep Condensation to a min.

chindits

WKR
I have never had a misfire or any issue with my ML except when it was my fault. I fell into a mining test hole before sunrise as I was walking in the dark no headlamp on the top of a ridge to get to a morning crossing point for muleys. The gun landed between me and rock when I landed. It knocked the rear site off. So I had to leave my hunting area to re-zero the gun.

I only bring 4 extra loads and equal number of primers to go with them. Muzzle is taped until I shoot the gun. Gun actually shoots better when fouled. I only need a flat blade screw driver to disassemble the gun and any multi tool or quarter will do. I would expect the same reliable performance in a modern day ML as I experience when shooting targets back home. Just my experience.

I have never had a misfire or any issue with my ML except when it was my fault. I fell into a mining test hole before sunrise as I was walking in the dark no headlamp on the top of a ridge to get to a morning crossing point for muleys. The gun landed between me and rock when I landed. It knocked the rear site off. So I had to leave my hunting area to re-zero the gun.

I only bring 4 extra loads and equal number of primers to go with them. Muzzle is taped until I shoot the gun. Gun actually shoots better when fouled. I only need a flat blade screw driver to disassemble the gun and any multi tool or quarter will do. I would expect the same reliable performance in a modern day ML as I experience when shooting targets back home. Just my experience.

I know guys that do flintlock sharpshooting comps and they all say the guns shoot better with a fouled barrel. Ive eased up on my barrel cleaning routine with both blackpowder and smokeless rifles the last few years.

psirus7

WKR
I know this is older thread, but do you guys discharge / unload your gun at the end of each day? Do you only load when ready to shoot? Or do you leave it loaded for multiple days?

OXN939

WKR
Do you have any issues with condensation & accuracy?

You can try to seal your barrel as much as possible, but it is never truly an airtight environment. I did some experimentation with this last year- hunted several days with light precipitation and high humidity using 777 propellant, and changed the loads afterwards. Instead of falling out in the form of granular powder, the loads had conformed to and stayed in the cylindrical shape of the barrel. Certainly, different propellants are hygroscopic to different extents, but my takeaway from that was that I'll change my propellant after having a rifle out in such conditions.

A good reason to bring a few extra pre-measured charges along on a backpack hunt.