remington UML load advice redoing

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
i thought i would start a new thread since the old thread had more stuff about the gas cutting upgrade than loads.

has any else here just got rid of the sabots and used the 325 gr fury bullets?

i am also rather undecided on that,,, i mean, since it seems some folks can get their uml to shoot sub moa with sabots (according to some posts and sites) i mean, even 1 moa is probably good enough for me since i have to use open sights anyway. i can see with a scope trying to make a precision shooter but if my state laws is open sights, does it really seem necessary to chase the accuracy to the nth degree?

any new load ideas out there. i am thinking of ordering some of the harvestor short black sabots and some parker hale 275's. i run blackhorn 209 currently with the old oem load system. all of my brass looks fine but i use a light load so that has probably helped.

also, i am sure most folks on here reload. has anyone seen any es/sd improvement by actually weighing the bh 209 vs using the volume measurer, is it really worth it at all? i premeasure mine into little test tubes so they are ready to go.

any positive thoughts appreciated.

bradb

WKR
Mine is not a ultimate really, but a bruxed barreled version. I do shoot sabotless when ever the states laws allow. Its VERY uncommon to have a 3 shoot group at 100 with bullet holes not touching. Shot very good at 500 the other day. I can shoot black powder substitutes or smokeless. again I use what the state laws allow

ENCORE

WKR
Jeff (Bestill) has shot some of the Furys through the RUM .50's and had MOA or less groups at 200yds. Bob Parker just notified me that the new Black Max he's building is now available, but will require a sabot in the 50's. Not on his web page as yet, you'll have to call. Basically a MH design type, but can be shot at BH speeds with expansion.
I'm doing my best to try to get a chance to shoot myself, after the new ASG system and new stock arrived. Between the rain, very high humidity, biting bugs etc, shooting has been put on the way side for a short. My barrel shot the 300gr SST exceptionally well at 400 and 500yds when using pellets.
You just have to get out and shoot something and find out which is going to work the best for you.

As for BH weight vs volume, I always weighed my charges when shooting it before, my intent is to continue to weigh it.

OP
R

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
Jeff (Bestill) has shot some of the Furys through the RUM .50's and had MOA or less groups at 200yds. Bob Parker just notified me that the new Black Max he's building is now available, but will require a sabot in the 50's. Not on his web page as yet, you'll have to call. Basically a MH design type, but can be shot at BH speeds with expansion.
I'm doing my best to try to get a chance to shoot myself, after the new ASG system and new stock arrived. Between the rain, very high humidity, biting bugs etc, shooting has been put on the way side for a short. My barrel shot the 300gr SST exceptionally well at 400 and 500yds when using pellets.
You just have to get out and shoot something and find out which is going to work the best for you.

As for BH weight vs volume, I always weighed my charges when shooting it before, my intent is to continue to weigh it.

thanks, i saw a guy with vernier rear sights on his powder rifle at the range. (quigley down under style) do you know anyone who has tried this, is it worth vs a williams?

have you done comparisons with a chrono on weighed vs measured loads? is it significant. i am going to do it this year like that.

ENCORE

WKR
I haven't, but others have tested velocity. For myself only, I'm always looking to eliminate any contributing factor possible, which is why I weigh BH according to the conversion from Western. My assumption is, if you're only looking for hunting accuracy and groups, then measuring by volume would be ok. I just prefer weighing it out. "Pound of feathers vs pound of lead" type thing. The new lot 30 is supposed to be more precise comparing volume and weight...…….. its what I've read or been told.

As for a rear sight, I shoot mostly scoped, so I can't be much help. However, I'd probably go with an adjustable peep over any other type sight.