Help a newbie out please (knight)

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hello,

I'm pretty new to this forum but I've hunted for ~ 20 years. Right now I'm getting very interested in muzzleloaders but have no previous experience with them.

I have decided that I will buy a knight but I'm confused between the models. Even looking at their website I'm confused. I apologize up front for coming here and asking such rookie questions but it seems like people here have a lot of knowledge and experience so I thought I'd ask.

I see the disc extreme, but there's 2 different versions. I also don't know what this "western" thing is as I've only hunted with bows, rifles and a revolver.

So I see three possible muzzleloaders for me, the ultra light, mountaineer and the disc extreme. But I really don't know what configuration makes the most sense for me to start out.

Open sights or scope? 209? Full plastic? I don't want to buy a cheap muzzleloader only to buy a knight later, I have the funds set aside so it's not. Major issue.

I'm hoping somebody can give me a basic rundown of the 3 models mentioned and the advantages and disadvantages of each as well as some input on the ignition systems.

I know there's a guy here with lots of knight rifles and tons of experience, I'm hoping I'm not bothering anybody too much and that you all can help me get my feet wet with muzzleloading.

Thanks in advance!!!

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The Knight Western Is for us guys in Oregon, Idaho who have to have a open cap ,Other words they need to be able to see the cap on the breech plug , What state are you going to be hunting in ??? check the game regs for your state ,,
I know Oregon Requires open sights for my Muzzle loader elk season ,,

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hi thanks for the reply!

I usually hunt NM, AZ, CO, TX, WY and a few times in Alaska. As much as I'd love to hunt Oregon or Idaho, it probably won't happen anytime soon.

So that answers the western thing. So now how about the 209 or the full plastic jacket thing? Any opinion on the different knight rifles?

Thank you again!

I don't know anything about muzzle loader and just bought my first. I ended up with a Thompson strike as a good balance between buying a cheap "entry" level gun and a more expensive premium level gun. I have put a scope on it and am playing with loads.

So far quite happy. If you are set on knight then go for it. I opted to go a bit less expensive and am quite happy two range sessions into the journey. I also found a lot of good info over on chuck Hawks.

mcr-85

WKR
I have the mountaineer I like it. I'm sure its not near as light as the Ultra-Light. I have a peep for it in case I decide to hunt Colorado and now a scope on it. For Colorado you will need open sights and loose powder. You will be able to use the 209 primers though. I believe they sell a Colorado legal Ultra-Light. I like the bare 209 primer system myself. I don't know much about the disc.

mountaineer.jpg

Last edited:

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The Ultra lite in my opinion is the best Knight offers ,,I have had 3 different MLers and like my Knight Ultra Lite the best ,,,Oregon has some crappie regs for the ELK ML hunt but that's ok we are getting the job done ,,, 209 primers , sabot bullets and a scope would make it easy.. but then it would get real crowed for this draw hunt,,,

Attachments

• Knight U T.jpg
    Knight U T.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 56

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider
I have a knight revolution with a zero power scope on it that I would make you a heck of a deal on. Purchased it for my son so that he could hunt all three seasons. It was sighted in and used for one season. No more than twenty rounds through it and meticulously cleaned after each use. All set up and ready to go. I have powder, slugs, cleaning solution and a pouch. Super easy to clean and very accurate. Let me know.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Knight will give you plenty of flexibility in hunting those states mentioned, as you listed states that allow a mixed bag of possibles- sabots/scopes/209s in AZ/NM, no scope, no sabots in CO

I shoot the Mountaineer listed above (mine is in .45 cal) and have shot both sabots and full-bore conicals (prbullet.com) well in it, plus you can swap bolts out to hunt states with percussion cap/open breech requirements or closed breech/209 requirements for about $100 in the event you expand to other states. I did a blog article on that gun and I'm prepping it right now for this year- shot it yesterday to 200 yards with a peep in 15 mph winds with 6" group at 200, 3" at 150, and 1.25" at 100, so she's still a shooter, here's the article from 2014:

Knight Mountaineer 45 Cal. Muzzleloader - Rok Blog

I don't own the Ultralight by Knight but have heard great things about it, although I can't remember if it has the versatility mentioned above in the Mountaineer. Sabotloader is on this forum and is on Knight's prostaff and can answer more questions. Send him a PM or wait for him to see this thread. Very knowledgable muzz guy

Another one of our staff members, James Petker, has shot the UL and has a review on this page:
MUZZLELOADER

There are a few Knight reviews on that page.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm pretty new to this forum but I've hunted for ~ 20 years. Right now I'm getting very interested in muzzleloaders but have no previous experience with them.

First off welcome to the forum! It has taken me a couple of days see your post - working this summer has taken to much of my time...

I would suggest to you, many years back I was at this bridge and decided to give this thing called a Muzzleloading a try. Today that is all that I hunt with... it is highly infectious so watch your back!

I have decided that I will buy a knight but I'm confused between the models. Even looking at their website I'm confused. I apologize up front for coming here and asking such rookie questions but it seems like people here have a lot of knowledge and experience so I thought I'd ask.

I have to tell you I am really biased on this subject... I have been hunting with a ML for many years now and have many different brands of muzzleloaders. Your decision or thought about a Knight is where I am today, I still have a few others but Knights are what I hunt with... The largest reason beside the common ones like quality - accuracy - and others - really the right Knight can be the most versatile ML for hunting all the different states and all the different animals.

I see the disc extreme, but there's 2 different versions. I also don't know what this "western" thing is as I've only hunted with bows, rifles and a revolver.

In the 3 states of Pacific Northwest and during muzzleloading season we are required to use cap ignition versus primer ignition that is allowed in most every other State. Along with the cap ignition there are some other rules that apply also.

In this set of pictures you can see the Western application. We are required to use non-magnifying, non-electronic sights, when the rifle is in the ready to fire position the cap (ignition system) must be exposed to the elements.

So the rifle shown above is a Western ready rifle.

This picture shows the cap and breech plug with a nipple that is used in the Western system. This a #11 Magnum cap which I much prefer to the use of a Musket cap.

This same rifle can be then converted back to what I call a modern Muzzleloader. Using a scope and 209 primers for the ignition system. And in this case the rifle is set up to use the NFPJ ignition system (Bare Primer). the other system FPJ uses a red plastic jacket that the primer is inserted into and then the jacket is inserted into the bolt.

This picture shows a rifle with a Red Plastic jacket install in the bolt face.

So I see three possible muzzleloaders for me, the ultra light, mountaineer and the disc extreme. But I really don't know what configuration makes the most sense for me to start out.

Open sights or scope? 209? Full plastic? I don't want to buy a cheap muzzleloader only to buy a knight later, I have the funds set aside so it's not. Major issue.

I'm hoping somebody can give me a basic rundown of the 3 models mentioned and the advantages and disadvantages of each as well as some input on the ignition systems.

The Knight bolt guns...

The Extreme - is the basic Knight rifle been around for years offers all the versatility of the Knight rifle system. Comes with a 26" Green Mountain barrel.

The Mountaineer - is the newer version of the Extreme and comes with a 27" fluted Green Mountain barrel with different stock options... Basically the same rifle as the Exreme. This is a Mountaineer but I have a thumbhole composite stock on mine to help reduce the weight of the rifle,

The Ultra-Lite is the newest version of the Knight bolt rifles. It's concept was to produce lightweight modern muzzleloader. In the barrel was reduced to 24". And the barrel is contoured down to a smaller diameter.

I am highly addicted to the Ultra Light especially for the western hunting that I do.

I know there's a guy here with lots of knight rifles and tons of experience, I'm hoping I'm not bothering anybody too much and that you all can help me get my feet wet with muzzleloading.

Thanks in advance!!!

Jump back in with other questions/thoughts as they come up. I hope I have offered enough info to not to confuse you but to start you thinking even more...

dotman

WKR
Nothing I can really add as sabotloader knows his stuff. Only thing I would say is if you have the money get the ultralight as the total weight savings is very nice while hunting. My buddy has the mountaineer and that thing is almost 2lbs heavier then my ultralight. Both are shooters.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing I can really add as sabotloader knows his stuff. Only thing I would say is if you have the money get the ultralight as the total weight savings is very nice while hunting. My buddy has the mountaineer and that thing is almost 2lbs heavier then my ultralight. Both are shooters.
for sure, If the UL ever comes out in 45, this Mountaineer will retire.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Curious why you're only interested in the .45?

I only hunt deer, so don't need the hard-kicking 50 caliber, especially in states like Colorado that require full-bore conicals that typically have to be heavy/long to shoot well. And 45 shoot flatter than 50s and in ranges beyond about 125, it matters.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I only hunt deer, so don't need the hard-kicking 50 caliber, especially in states like Colorado that require full-bore conicals that typically have to be heavy/long to shoot well. And 45 shoot flatter than 50s and in ranges beyond about 125, it matters.

Gotcha... was just curious. I'd like to have a .45 for antelope and or deer hunting too. For now the .50 Ultra-Lite will have to do!

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Awesome thank you everybody. I have a much clearer idea of what's going on now. Thank you all for pictures and explanation regarding the western conversions.

Awesome photos too.

I think I'm going to get the ultra light and order it with iron sights then eventually put a scope on it but first learn to use it well with open sights.

I can't seem to find any downsides to going straight for the ultra light rather than a disc or a mountaineer which are obviously awesome rifles but I'll be carrying this gun so may as well go with the light weight.

Thanks again everybody!!!