Building an Extended Range Muzzleloader for Big Mule Deer

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Hi guys,
got a project going on the Rok Blog that you might be interested in. If you want to build a gun that will be legal in all Western states and can be swapped between peep and scope (more states allowing scopes now), then this is for you. First post went up today....
Building an Extended Range Muzzleloader for Hunting Big Mule Deer - Rok Blog

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
Awesome.e! I bought a smoke pole this spring

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

chindits

WKR
So I noted in your article that you switch from scope to peep. There are systems that allow the peep to remain on the gun while you have a scope. Not too bad an idea having a back up iron sight in those scope legal states, and not too bad an idea that once you have your peep zeroed on your gun to leave it in place forever. I only had one mishap with this system when I was on a ridge line moving on a buck and I didn't see an old mine test hole in "the dawns early light". I took a hard 2-3 foot drop face plant with the gun breaking my fall. I knocked the rear site laterally out of zero and I had to take a day to get out of my hunting area to re zero my gun. Just a bad way to start the day and I should be thankful I didn't break any body parts or dent my head.

YMMV and I am not sponsored by them:

Muzzleloader Accuracy - How to get tack driver accuracy from your muzzle loader rifle. Sights, loads, and loading process.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
chindits,
thanks for chiming and sharing that link. As I said in Part 1, there are lots of ways to accomplish this and you just showed us one more. Thanks and that looks like a sweet system and easier to swap between too.

I liked that article you shared, lots of good info.

Robby, you said not many people find Blackhorn accurate with conical. Can you elaborate? I use Thor bullets with Blackhorn and found it accurate out of my knight UL, although I only shot 100 yds.

Regarding the triple 7 how much were you using?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
MF, you're the first person I've heard of getting good conical accuracy with BH209-so good deal. Didn't mean it was impossible, but I never got better then 3MOA in several rifles with conicals and neither had several other guys I'd spoken with. I "think" it even says on BH209s site it's not recommended for conicals, but if it'll shoot it, go for it. I can't think of a downside.

I've got my best accuracy with conicals (really sabots too) between 90 and 120 grs of T7.

I am curious just because I have never heard that before or caught that from their site. Maybe I will have to try T7 and see if I am missing out.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If you can get accuracy with BH209/conical, you're going backwards switching to T7. Back to spitpatch, more residue, less velocity.

CoHiCntry

WKR
BH-209 and Thor Conicals seems to be a very accurate combo in most cases. I've used both BH-209 & T7. Both were accurate enough but the BH-209 has been a little more accurate for me and the advantages of BH-209 over T7 are a plus.

kparrott

Lil-Rokslider
What primers are you guys using with BH-209? I bought a Knight a year or so ago and the guy told me I needed hot primers and gave me a suggestion but I forget it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
all they mean by "hot" primers is don't use the 209s that are made for muzzleloaders. Those are for powders like T7, etc. You just need the regular 209 shotshell primers as that is what BH 209 is designed for. I've used both Federal and CCI.

CoHiCntry

WKR
What primers are you guys using with BH-209? I bought a Knight a year or so ago and the guy told me I needed hot primers and gave me a suggestion but I forget it. Thanks.

I use Winchester W209.

PNWGATOR

WKR
"This project started because I not only drew one, but two muzzleloader tags this year: one for Utah and one for Nevada."

I'm sure I'm not the only one excited to hear about the outcome of these hunts. :)

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
PNW you're timing is impeccable. Just watch the Rok Blog in the next 24 hours.....