Storing Muzzy at Camp

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
First year hunting with the muzzleloader brought to mind a question about storing it at night back at camp. Assuming you're going back to base camp each night do you 1) Shoot the gun off to clear it of powder/bullet and then clean at camp, 2)remove the musket cap and reuse the same powder/bullet for the next day, 3) remove breech plug, dump loose powder and push bullet out? For reference, I am shooting 100 grains 777 3-f, Leigh Bloodline 270 grain bullet out of a Knight Ultra Lite in WA state.

Follow up question- if you leave the powder/bullet in (having removed the primer) where do you store your gun? I've heard that fluxes in temperature (bringing your cold or wet gun into your warm wall tent/trailer) can create condensation and dampen your powder to cause a misfire. Better to leave it locked up in the truck with gun case open or outside the tent in a dry, safe location.

Getting excited for October 1st!

elkduds

WKR
2 weeks ago I hunted ML for 6 days in southern CO, I left a load of 777 and bullet in my CVA inline the whole time. That included 3 very rainy days. Gun was in truck overnights. Electrical tape over muzzle as soon as gun was loaded. After the hunt it went bang, no problem. Good luck.

Typically leave it loaded, but remove the primer. Unless it is just a fair weather day hunt I also put tape over the barrel. It stays wherever weather wont do any damage, that might be in the tent, vestibule, or even under a gear tarp.

Bar

Banned
I use real black powder, so I shoot it out every night. I would still do it with all sub powders, except BH 209. I'm the cautious type.

MThuntr

WKR
With using real black powder, i usually tape the barrel and leave the gun loaded with the cap off. If I'm transition from very cold to warm house, the rifle stays in the truck overnight to prevent condensation. If I feel like something may be an issue I take the nipple off and put a touch of 3F powder in. Usually never have an issue since I switched to those hotter german musket caps.

I've never hunted with my inline but I think I'd follow the same protocol but since the breech plug comes out so easily, dumping the powder and pushing the bullet out would be a good option. I use BH 209 so I'm not really worried.

weaver

WKR
I had a misfire last year with 777. Barrel was taped and it didn't rain during my hunt. I tried 3 caps and it wouldn't fire so I pulled the breech plug and pushed the bullet out. Powder was damp and came out in chunks. I had bad condensation in my tent that morning so I think that was the problem but I have started putting a fresh load in every morning.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

OP
E

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the replies. With the forecast calling for wet conditions, I'll be taping the end of the barrel and probably changing out my powder and bullet depending on how wet we get. And I'll be keeping my gun, speed loaders out in the truck to prevent any condensation. Thanks again.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've left mine loaded for over 2 weeks during hunting season. when it came to to shoot for realsies, all was well. I did cover the ignition area during weather and night though. other than that nope..

Clarktar

WKR
I left mine loaded for 4 years and it still went boom.
Wtf. That seems a little crazy to me, but I guess things are different up north..
First year hunting with the muzzleloader brought to mind a question about storing it at night back at camp. Assuming you're going back to base camp each night do you 1) Shoot the gun off to clear it of powder/bullet and then clean at camp, 2)remove the musket cap and reuse the same powder/bullet for the next day, 3) remove breech plug, dump loose powder and push bullet out? For reference, I am shooting 100 grains 777 3-f, Leigh Bloodline 270 grain bullet out of a Knight Ultra Lite in WA state.

Follow up question- if you leave the powder/bullet in (having removed the primer) where do you store your gun? I've heard that fluxes in temperature (bringing your cold or wet gun into your warm wall tent/trailer) can create condensation and dampen your powder to cause a misfire. Better to leave it locked up in the truck with gun case open or outside the tent in a dry, safe location.

Getting excited for October 1st!

2 weeks ago I hunted ML for 6 days in southern CO, I left a load of 777 and bullet in my CVA inline the whole time. That included 3 very rainy days. Gun was in truck overnights. Electrical tape over muzzle as soon as gun was loaded. After the hunt it went bang, no problem. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
One thing to keep in mind. Just because the gun goes boom doesn't mean all is well. The load could be weakened from moisture. Maybe not enough to notice, but maybe enough to change the POI.

I don't want to take that chance. When I get to the point that I can't afford to shoot out the loads. I'll quit hunting.

Last edited:

Zbot

WKR
Close to month here.....loaded up opening morning and shot a buck close to last day. Went boom and deer came home with me. Pellets and I removed the primer everyday.

for years i have left mine loaded from the night before hunting until i shot at something. never had a problem.

last year after a weekend hunt i put it back in the cabinet until next weekend. just to be sure i decided to reload it before hunting the following weekend and the loose powder came out in one big chunk from where it had absorbed moisture. it may have gone off the next day but who knows if it would have matched the power of a fresh load that it was sighted in for. made me rethink keeping it loaded.

Curvebow

Lil-Rokslider
I use an inline TC Triumph and use 150 grains of 777 pellets and a shotgun primer. Last year I shot at a deer and experienced a hangfire. The primer went pop and about 1 second later, the gun went pow, not BOOM. The day before I hunted in snowy conditions with some rain, so it was a very damp day. Later that day, the gun worked fine and I killed a deer. In previous years, I have loaded the gun and left it loaded for 2 months without any issues. However, I will be changing the pellets out after damp days going into the future.